Final Ford GT HP

• Sponsors (?)

SadbutTrue said:
It also made sense because Car and Driver ran it 0-60 in 3.3seconds and mid 11s in the quarter, which the Viper can't come that close (relatively) to even with 500 hp and equal weight.

Good find.

Actually the Viper and Ford GT 1/4mi. times were 1/100th of a second apart in Car and Driver. I think when it was a 500HP it was underrated, 550HP seems more accurate.

Any road tests that have been done with the GT up till now might not be worth much. Given the actual certified numbers and the published numbers so far, the production version could be more powerful than any of the pre-production cars they used in the tests.

The 50 HP is significant, but the additional 1250 rpm spread between the TQ and HP peaks will make a bigger difference IMO.

This thread is starting to sound like a GT vs Viper thread. Neither of these cars is just about straight line acceleration anyway.

SadbutTrue said:
i'm pretty sure the Viper ran an 11.9 in Car and Driver, lemme check

according to C&D

.4 seconds and 13 mph slower...

Sorry, I meant to say MotorTrend. it was them that had the Viper Vs. GT comparison. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/index5.html

Viper11.77 @ 123.63 Ford GT 11.78 @ 124.31

shatner saves said:
Any road tests that have been done with the GT up till now might not be worth much. Given the actual certified numbers and the published numbers so far, the production version could be more powerful than any of the pre-production cars they used in the tests.

The 50 HP is significant, but the additional 1250 rpm spread between the TQ and HP peaks will make a bigger difference IMO.

THe engine isn't changing just the official rating is more accurate. THe concept had a roots blower, production has a twin screw. THe GT tested against the Viper had the twin screw.

Z28x said:
Sorry, I meant to say MotorTrend. it was them that had the Viper Vs. GT comparison. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/index5.html

Viper11.77 @ 123.63 Ford GT 11.78 @ 124.31

THe engine isn't changing just the official rating is more accurate. THe concept had a roots blower, production has a twin screw. THe GT tested against the Viper had the twin screw.

C&D is saying 0-60 in 3.3 and a 1/4 mile in 11.6 beating some better competitors then the Viper :nice:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7565

GreyGoose said:
C&D is saying 0-60 in 3.3 and a 1/4 mile in 11.6 beating some better competitors then the Viper :nice:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7565

well, that 11.77 is far and away the best time I've seen on a Viper yet. Interesting to note that I saw on one of the major auto mags that it was underrated too (but only by 20 hp or so, peas and carrots at this level... i just watched Forrest Gump lol). I did read that article, but it seemed like it was almost biased towards

I don't actually recall where I read these reports, but I've seen rwhp estimates of around 500 for the GT. That "550 hp" rating is closer to the actual flywheel value, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it being dead on. Think about it ... DOHC, 5.4 liters, twin screwed ... with probably "better engineering" than what was put into the '03/'04 Cobra motors ... and the average for a stock '03/'04 is 370rwhp (and that's conservative, with strangled exhaust and intake) ... 500rwhp seems like a cakewalk to me.

From what I've read/analyzed about the car, being mid-engine and all, the GT should be into the mid to low 11 seconds if you can drive it. Those preliminary high 11s you see in the magazines hardly do it justice, just like every other botched quarter mile time they publish. (I'm reminded of all the magazines that couldn't break into 12s with '03/'04s with so-called professional drivers.)

The reasoning for this whole bump, in my eyes, is to allow a little more room for the lower end models to have higher horsepower numbers. With the GT being 550, they can legitimately sell a 500hp (or thereabouts) Cobra/Lightning/Shelby/etc.

JMHCobra said:
The reasoning for this whole bump, in my eyes, is to allow a little more room for the lower end models to have higher horsepower numbers. With the GT being 550, they can legitimately sell a 500hp (or thereabouts) Cobra/Lightning/Shelby/etc.

I agree. Evidence seems to say that there will be more than one special edition Mustang in 06 - 07. I think that there will be a model (GT-350?) that will have an aluminum block, twin screw S/C 4.6L which will be rated at over 400 HP. This will be followed by the new Mustang Cobra (or GT-500) which will have a slightly de-tuned 5.4L, S/C twin screw rated at the magic 500 HP level.

The only remaining question is if there will be a new Mach 1 type model, in between the GT & GT-350.

ryanrule said:
insurance is the reason the 420 hp cobra is rated at 390

Not true. Like stated above, insurance isnt rated using hp. Why were LS1's underrated? Not for insurance, cuz of the C5's. The C5's were rated pretty close to actual numbers, so an fbody thats 15-20k cheaper cant have the same hp rating. I know of a few 03 cobras that have dynoed in the 350rwhp range. We all know Ford has trouble with quality and consistency on their hi performance motors, so they probably just ball parked it and 390hp. Some gfuys will get 350rwhp, some 380, some 360rwhp, etc. Ford had built a stout bottom end on that motor, but they ran into the issues early on (just like the 99 cobras).