Finally Dropping the 351w

kikz19

Oct 17, 2005
Hey Guys

Im getting ready to replace my tired old procharged 302 with a rebuilt 351. I am going to set it up with AFR 205 heads and getting a new lower manifold for my Trickflow R to match up to the new wider block. Everything else i am going to covert over. My question is how much power can I realisticly expect to achieve before I detonate the short block. I have been using a copy of the DynoSim software and have perfected a tune with these heads intake and a custom cam to just squeek under 500 hp with around 550 tq. I am planning to use the stock shortblock with the exception of the pistons. Im getting rid of the kb craq in favor of some probe srs pistons that I know wont have any valve clearance issues, and to take the compression ratio down slightly to utilize the procharger a little more. We all know that hp is one of lifes greatest addictions so I will have a hard time not putting a smaller pulley on this thing. How much power can I push before i have to start looking at a Dart block and a forged bottom end. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

kikz19 said:
can the same be said for the stock crank and rods??

Its up to you.

We were spining the stock crank and rods up to 6800 rpm's on a 150hp shot in a mild build 357 (.030 over 351W).The assambaly was balanced and had ARP rod bolts and KB pistons,this was in a early model 74' block.

I still got the short block in the shop,had about 2000 miles on it and showed no sings of wear.

We wear probably pushing 500+ hp on the shot,but its up to you wether or not you would trust the stock stuff at that level,or at higher rpm.