FINALLY!!! Fixed my cold start/idle problems!

Silver85TC

May 28, 2003
A short history first. My 95 GT was experiencing the typical hanging idle, rough idle problems this past winter. I installed new ECT and ACT sensor's from NAPA in February. That seemed to fix my hanging idle problems, however my cold idle was still pretty rough. Idle improved as car warmed up. My cold starts also seemed quite long (engined turned over 10-12 times before firing - warm starts were fine) and the car usually bucked once or twice driving away.

Now the car was running pretty good in general, but the cold start/idle issue was buggin me because I figured it should be better than it was. After much research of various books/internet threads, it seemed to me that a bad ECT would be causing my cold engine problems, even though I had just installed a new one in February. I should also mention that NO codes or CEL lights had occurred.

Yesterday, I pulled the connector for the ECT sensor and checked the cold resistance with a DMM. The resistance was about 5000 ohms too high for the temp. Not off alot considering the range the sensor puts out, but I decided to investigate further. I also had another old Ford ECT sensor from a different car that I checked, and it was within spec. I pulled the NAPA sensor and placed both ECT sensors in the freezer. After 10 minutes I checked the resistance on both ECT sensors. The NAPA sensor was reading WAAAAY less resistance (30,000 ohms) than the old Ford sensor (less resistance means the sensor is saying the temp is warmer). Hmmm, might be on to something here...!!!

I then check hot temp's by dropping both sensors in almost boiling water. The resistance levels on both sensors was almost identical. BINGO!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! When my car was cold, it started/idled bad because the 3 month old ECT sensor from NAPA was telling the computer that the engine was warmer than it really was, therefore the fuel ratios were screwed. Once the car warmed up, the ECT sensor was telling the computer the correct information and the car ran like new.

I installed my old used Ford ECT sensor and the car started almost instantly and idle great from cold all the way to normal operating temp's. No bucking either when driving just after cold start
In summary, JUST BECAUSE A SENSOR IS NEW, DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT IS GOOD! Stupid friggin NAPA sensor!!!! From now on, it's only quality Ford sensor's for me!!!

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

well i have the same exact problem with my car. sorta been fixing it with the tweecer but i replaced my ect cause i someone mentioned it to me cause i was having that problem. maybe ill try my old stock one or maybe go to ford and get a new one from them. i thought it was something like that but i wasnt sure.

"Can you post up the Ford p/n for that ECT sensor..."

The following basic part # is from my Ford shop manual CD : 12A648

"What the heck is an ECT sensor and what does it do? How much does it cost?"

An ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor tells your cars computer how hot the coolant ergo the engine is. The computer uses this info to adjust a number of parameters including fuel delivery/timing etc. Needless to say, it is a very important sensor. Here in Canada, it is $75 at my local Ford dealer.

"Got pictures?? "

Have a look at the following website under "sensors";

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.htm

The ECT sensor is located in the hard coolant line between the distributer and the alternator. It is very easy to change yourself. You just need a 1" deep socket.

Cheers

I ran into a similar problem with my ECT sensor. In my case, the el cheapo one I bought was made with a plastic housing. Plastic transfers heat differently than the Motorcraft brass ones, which would likely affect the lifespan of the part at least. In my case, the sensor was throwing readings all over the place. Readings like:

I'm too cold. :(
Wait, I'm too hot! :flame:
Gotcha, I'm just warmed up. :cool:
Now I'm freezing! :eek:

:scratch: :fuss:

The computer didn't know what to do, and never turned on the cooling fan. The CTS (coolant temp sensor, feeds the dash guage ONLY) was fine, and was reporting very high temps. My mechanic mis-diagnosed the issue, and said the CTS was bad. Since the CTS was actually good, I find out I was riding close to overheating for weeks! :eek: I also had weird drivability issues - loss of power for several seconds, etc.

Solution: buy the Motorcraft ECT sensor. Problem immediately solved, drivability back to normal. :nice:

Another recommendation for Motorcraft parts: I recently replaced my IAT sensor to solve idling issues. The dying one was a cheap version, and only lasted a couple of years. This time, I found a good deal on a Motorcraft part from 50resto.com. Out of curiosity, I compared the old and new parts. To my surprise, the old cheap one had the Ford part number filed off of it! The rest of the part was completely identical, even down to the Quality control sticker. I'm guessing the el cheapo one was a Motorcraft reject part.

Moral is: Careful about buying cheap parts, you may get exactly what you pay for.