Finally Going Full Disc Brakes....question

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
My car was already 5 lug when I got it. I've found out its using 96-98 sn95 front spindles/brakes. And not so sure what it uses in the rear, but it's still drum.

I have this rear now. (Refer to pics)

I just noticed I'm missing half the caliper for the left side. Should I even bother finding just that single part, or just get another caliper?

I'm trying to do this for as low cost as possible. Brakes need replacing, but times have been rough lately. The Stang is my daily driver so down time is a no no.

Also, how can I tell exactly what rotors and pads to buy when swapping the rear to disc brakes?

Attachments

• 20160808_191347.jpg
    20160808_191347.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 20160808_191406.jpg
    20160808_191406.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 158
  • Sponsors (?)

You've got a few options here, and me being on a phone makes it tough to list them out.

I'll respond in detail once I get to a PC tomorrow, but til them let me ask a couple questions?

Are you only looking to add rear disk?

Do you plan on staying with the 94-98 setup? Or open to changing this to 99+ calipers or 13" cobra brakes?

For the rear setup, looks like a 94-98 setip with GT/v6 brakes. You will need to find that bracket, and late model resto sells it. You also need 94-04 GT/v6 rotors.

Mc and booster need to be changed as well.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Also, even though it might add cost. I really can't afford the down time. Is there somewhere I can buy pre-pre-made brake lines for the disc brake rear swap? I need to avoid potential down time incase this becomes an issue.

You've got a few options here, and me being on a phone makes it tough to list them out.

I'll respond in detail once I get to a PC tomorrow, but til them let me ask a couple questions?

Are you only looking to add rear disk?

Do you plan on staying with the 94-98 setup? Or open to changing this to 99+ calipers or 13" cobra brakes?

For the rear setup, looks like a 94-98 setip with GT/v6 brakes. You will need to find that bracket, and late model resto sells it. You also need 94-04 GT/v6 rotors.

Mc and booster need to be changed as well.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I plan to stay with this set up. No need to go big here. This car is just a daily driven street car. Basic bolt ons just for fun and a good time.

Are you swapping the entire rear end in?

Here's your parts list assuming the front brake setup is completely done and you don't need to touch it.

94-04 GT/V6 rotors
1 GT/V6 rear caliper bracket
94-95 GT/V6 Master Cylinder and booster
Appropriate 3-2 conversion kit from max motorsports

Now, my question on the rear. I notice no brake lines, meaning it's a 96+ rear. However, if it's a 99+ rear it's entirely too wide to mount in the car and the control arm bolt hole sizes differ from a fox. So, is that a 96-98 rear?

If so, you'll need.

94-95 rear mustang caliper soft lines (parts stores have these)
As for the hard lines, no real kits exist amazingly. You'd think someone would capitalize on this.

Here's your center brake line

Mount that to the axle, and then you'll need to fabricate lines to run between the soft lines and center line. Once you have the brakes all setup on the rear, you can just install the rear.

Then you'll need to tackle MC and booster.

Then there's E-brake stuff

You will need a proportioning valve, Summit has one for $42 + shipping.
Wildwood 260-8419 from Summit or Jegs

You will need a kit to gut the stock proportioning valve,
https://lmr.com/item/M2450A/Mustang-Brake-Proportioning-Valve-Plug $19

See http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/brake.html for help with the emergency brake. The red words link to some very useful photos on how to modify the handle. The stock setup tends to lock up and not release properly.

Emergency brake cable parts: Summit or Jegs or Late Model Restoration
79-92 Mustangs use: M-2809-A* Parking Brake Cable (need 2)
93 Mustangs: use 93 Cobra Ebrake cables.
All years use: M-2810-A* Parking Brake Cable (short cable that attaches to the parking brake handle)

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed replies!

I'll have to measure the width of the rear to determine the year. I'll update info on that. But I was actually planning to just swap the parts as I don't know the milage or condition of this rear.

One last question, what is a 3-2 conversion? Nothing good showed up when I searched it...

Last edited:
. But I was actually planning to just swap the parts as I don't know the milage or condition of this rear.

In that case, what I would do is mock everything up on the rear you have. Mount the brakes, the soft lines, run the hard lines and have them bent and ready to go. Then, you can just swap everything over to your rear after you make sure you have all the parts you need to minimize downtime.

If that rear end is a 99+ rear, the only thing you need to do is pick up a set of 94-98 axles. All the other brake parts will swap over and are identical to 94-98 brake parts...other than the axles.