Finally got my Aluminum Driveshaft , it's on but I have a question !

mpcv2000

Jul 29, 2002
Montreal , Quebec !
I ordered it in April and I got it today.

The speedshop told me that they were B/O from Ford cause they had some issues with the previous batch.. :shrug:

Anyway I was just wondering how much stronger they are compare to the stock one ?

Is there any rating ?

Not that I'm affraid to break it but I'm just curious and I'm sure some other Stangners would like to know too.. :nice:

Install was pretty simple all I needed was 2 ramps a 12mm wrench and some locktite ,if you're using a wrench (close end ) a floor jack will be handy cause you may have to lift the rear end to spin the driveshaft to have access to the bolts on the top , I did not have a 12mm 12 point socket so the wrench was my only option but it worked out very good .

1st I backed my car up on the ramps.

aluminum_drive_shaft_011.jpg

I took the time to weight them in case if some of you are wondering what is the difference between the two.

aluminum_drive_shaft_002.jpg

The aluminum Driveshaft weights 14.30 LBS.

aluminum_drive_shaft_001.jpg

Man the stock one is ugly... :nonono:

aluminum_drive_shaft_004.jpg

The stock one weights 20.60 LBS so there is not much difference....

aluminum_drive_shaft_003.jpg

The aluminum Driveshaft is bigger than the stock one and there is more meat where the "T" is.

aluminum_drive_shaft_006.jpg

aluminum_drive_shaft_007.jpg

I know we don't look under the car everyday but the stock one is very ugly rusty looking...

aluminum_drive_shaft_005.jpg

It was tough to fit the front part in the tranny cause my car is pretty low and it was tough to have access from the side..

aluminum_drive_shaft_008.jpg

Locktite is a very cheap insurance so make sure you have some.

aluminum_drive_shaft_009.jpg

That's it I'm done , I haven't look how long it took but I guess around 45 minutes to a hour..

aluminum_drive_shaft_010.jpg

Next time I go under my car I'll double check the 4 bolts just to make sure they are still torque right. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Indiana said:
Good post, thanks for the extra effort on sharing the info. :nice:

I think it's kind of cool when you do a search and you find a post like that , sometime it can help you take a descision on a particular product :shrug:

I do a lot of search before posting ( or buying ) stuff but sometime we can't find the answer we're looking for... :nice:

6.3LBS is not much but if it's less weight , stronger and better balanced , I think it's a good modification :)

When I swaped my gear from 3.27 to 3.73 I remove the ( called ) Dog Bone under the differential cause most people said that after a gear swap you don't need it anymore but because the drive shaft is spinning faster I was getting vibration ( high speed only ) and this can be worst with people with 4.10 or 4.30 so the aluminum drive shaft hopefully will take care of this too.

Here's the heavy dog bone :

dog_bone.jpg

dog_bone_2.jpg

This chunk of metal weights 8.50 LBS .

dog_bone_3.jpg

Indiana said:
Good post, thanks for the extra effort on sharing the info. :nice:

I agree these are the posts that the threads are for. Great info and pictures. I was totally misinformed as to the weight I read almost double those #'s. I cannot even get the bolts out.......the one time I tried I am sure I will succeed but it is going to give me trouble I just know. The few places I looked I could get no 12 point sockets....have not tried to hard but at least two large stores had none.

Do like I did , I took a 12mm Wrench , close on one end and open to the other one , so I put the close end on the bolt and took a 17mm wrench and put it at the end of the 12mm's one to double the levereage force and all bolts were pretty easy to remove :nice:

stang74 said:
whats the purpose of that dogbone anyways?

If I'm not mistaking , suspended weight under the differential will absorbe gear's whine , not all Mustangs have a whining sound from the read end so Ford to minimize customer complains ( Claims ), got this weight there .

Don't flame me if I'm wrong , I read that somewhere a while back and it's the only think that made sense to me :shrug: