FINALLY - Got my Custom Stripe Installed!

05SatinSilver

Mar 30, 2005
Well, I FINALLY got my stripe kit installed. I've had this kit sitting in my bedroom since late April. I couldn't find anyone local, who works with vinyl. Everyone wanted to Paint my Stang, for $2000-$2400!Can't afford that right now, just for paint. So, I had this kit, custom made and now I got it installed last Friday! I know, some will like it and some won't. Hey, that's ok, because we are all different. Let me know what ya'll think (good or bad)! As you can see, I do like to be different! :nice:

Dave...

serve.php

serve.php

serve.php

• Sponsors (?)

Hey I like it! It really matches very well in the rear with the red tailights and the black trim around it. GREAT PIC! Best stripe job I have seen for the Satin Silver Mustangs. Maybe a black with red side stripe?? Any whoo awesome job. Oh yeah ifyou dont mind, how much did it cost to have that made?

I love that style stripe and it is what I plan on putting on my car (but I am hopefully painting mine on). I am undecided on the red stripes. On one hand they are really unique and they do go well on the back side like Mustang05 said. But I am not exactly sure I like it either. Like I said before they are definately unique though and as long as you like them then that is all that matters.

echo7 said:
Where did you get it from? Online?
Well, I Really do hate to do this, but! I got my kit from Autotrimdesign. I was the 1st person to ask them, to make a custom kit for the 05 Mustang. I designed the kit, color scheme and size I wanted (center stripes is 21", 1" gap, 2" side stripes). I paid for the kit upfront, so they could work on it. I was Very patient and waited for them to get their hands on a 05 to take measurements. Then the had to make the kit and they wanted to 'Test fit' the kit, before they would ship it to me. So, I continued to wait. Finally, after waiting for 9 1/2 weeks, I got the kit. Well, then I had to find someone to do the install. Not something I wanted to try myself! So, I finally found someone local. Well, here's where the Fun begins! During the install, Most of the pieces were cut too short? They did not go all the way, end-to-end, as I clearly requested from the Vendor. Luckily, my installer uses the same Avery vinyl and was able to fix the Black. The top of the back bumper was cut 1 1/2" too short? The top of the trunk and back of the trunk pieces, didn't even meet up where the seam is supposed to, so my installer made this piece from scratch. But when he started to install the red side stripes, same issues (Plus the kit was short 2 pieces) and my installer did not have the same color red. Well, the black hides the seams well, but the red does not. So, instead of Patching the red, the installer ordered new red and did the side stripes completely from scratch. Of course, I had to pay extra for this work. I sent Autotrimdesign an email (twice) trying to work out the issues. Well, it's been 10 days, and I've heard NOTHING from them. So, I would NOT buy my kit from them, as it seems Customer service is not high on their list. Talking to my installer, he said he could have made this kit himself, without any problems. So, if you want something like mine, find a good local Vinyl installer and work with them. I found my installer, by looking up Signs, not anything to due with auto shops / painters. Also, some boat shops work alot with vinyl, for making boat names!
OK, rant is now off!
:flag:
Dave...

Personally I would have just done the black stripe in the middle. Not that it looks bad with the red, just not my style.

Wow is that how much it is to paint vs do vinyl? 2k vs 500? I wanted to paint mine but maybe its not worth it. What are the + and - about vinyl vs painting? Is painting really worth the xtra $$$?

svtash said:
Personally I would have just done the black stripe in the middle. Not that it looks bad with the red, just not my style.

Wow is that how much it is to paint vs do vinyl? 2k vs 500? I wanted to paint mine but maybe its not worth it. What are the + and - about vinyl vs painting? Is painting really worth the xtra $$$?
Well, the quote I got, was from a local shop, that only does the Best Job! He wanted to remove the bumpers, hood, trunk & spoiler. Then sand the clear off everything. Mask & paint (remember, since I wanted 2 different colors, it would take longer and involve more steps) then clear everything again. He said, the only way to do it right, is so Noone could tell it wasn't a factory paint job. Plus, he didin't want you to be able to feel the difference between the body color and the stripes. So, maybe it would be cheaper going someplace else, but never as cheap as $500. Plus, if I want too, I can change the look later, for a lot cheaper cost.

Dave...