Finally got the 331 running yesterday...It LIVES!!!

red302

Founding Member
Nov 21, 1998
Peru, IL
It's been a battle, but I finally got it put together, dropped it in the '68, and it's up and running. DSS 331 stroker lives!!! Broke the motor in with stock exhaust manifolds so as not to mess up the finish on the new coated headers. Dumped the oil and filter, and put in another 7 qts., set the timing and carb and it settled in to a nice lope at idle. Now I can put the headers on, fab up the exhaust, put the shift kit in the C-4, and get to take it for a ride. Been a long road, I can't wait!! :lol:

Attachments

• 331 Motor.JPG
    331 Motor.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Sponsors (?)

Congrats! I can definately relate to the feeling of finally getting the new motor started- I just fired my DSS 347 this past weekend.

I see your in IL as well, have you thought about getting in dyno tuned anywhere? I am trying to decide on a place to go.

Haven't thought about that yet. I still have some work to do before I can take it out yet. At least the motor is in, broke-in and running. Hope to have it on the road in a week or so if all goes right. I bought the motor as a long block from DSS they built it to my specs and were very helpful and great to work with. I broought it home and took it from there. They said in the configuration it's in now, althought obviously not dyno'd it should be right around 400 H.P. at the flywheel. The engine is built to take more, so if I decide in the future to bump it up some, 500 plus isn't a problem, but for a street / cruiser it should be just what I was looking for. The rest of the car is finshed, so I'm getting pretty excited now. As far as a dyno goes, the closest one that I know of to where I'm at is in Peoria IL. About 60 mi. from me.

Hey guys, I'm leaning towards going with DSS for my new engine build this winter. Let me know what you think of the product and service. Also, how long did it take from order to delivery?

Feel free to send me a PM if you would rather not post.

Thanks,
Tim

I would recommend them. There are 3 guys in our Mustang club running they're engines including mine now, and all are very happy with 'em. They worked with me on what I wanted to put together and were helpful with all of my questions. It took about 3 weeks from the time I ordered it untill I picked it up. Since I'm less than 2 hours away from them, I went and picked the longblock up myself. Although I haven't actually had the car on the road yet, the motor sounded and ran very good for the initial 1/2 hour break-in, and quality seems to be very good!