Finally, here's my combo... guess my RWHP and track times (Results now posted)

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I've told you all about my combo except for the cubes and compression, well today is the day I reveal all. I wanted to see how it ran first, and I wanted to make sure that I was going to stick with my original plan for the car before I let the cat out of the bag. I've been to the track twice with this combo so far at my local track (not at Cecil where I normally run) and I ran it on the dyno yesterday for a few power pulls. I did not tune it on the dyno, I just tried a few tunes that I had made up before getting there. I will post my dyno graphs later and you'll see that my AF needs some work. To help with guesses, keep in mind that the fastest my car ever ran at my local track was a 12.4 at 109.Xmph in full race trim, Cecil is a good 2mph and 2 tenths faster than this track, my old dyno numbers were 304rwhp/331rwtq. This is just a temporary combo, the heads/cam/exhaust/fuel system/etc will all be replaced soon, more on that later. :)

-Holley Systemax intake (box stock)
-3/8" phenolic spacer
-AFR 165/60cc pedestal mount heads (box stock except for upgraded valve springs/retainers/locks)
-FTI custom cam from my old stock shortblock setup
-1.6 FMS pedestal mount rockers
-Morpheous NA power pipe
-65mm FMS T-body (still the 94-95 setup)
-FMS 1-5/8" shorty unequal length headers
-2.5" offroad bassani X pipe
-dynomax welded race magnum mufflers with 2.5" flowmaster tail pipes
-ASP Pulleys
-24lb injectors
-190lph fuel pump
-AEM EMS
-Dart block based 331ci shortblock
-8.89:1 compression ratio with current heads and head gaskets

I'm sure you are wondering why I opted for a 331 and the 8.89:1 compression... I'll tell you about that later after I show you how its running right now.

Well, lets see your guesses at power and 1/4 mile times/MPH.:D

• Sponsors (?)

well it's about time! :nice:

i'll guess about 310hp, 320 tq, which would be much higher with a higher compression ratio

no guesses on 1/4 or mph from me

that comp ratio makes me think a blower is coming later, and i assume the 165 heads are because that is what you had before ...

I would guess, but since we talked on the phone that would be cheating. So, all I can say is it will be fun watching this thread for a couple days.

I agree Charlie, its going to be fun to see what kind of guesses everyone comes up with as this is definitely a weird combo.

18 views already and only 1 guess???

Chris- all I'll say for now is that you are correct about the heads. Since I have a '90GT that I want to put all of my old 302 stuff on, I decided to fix my 165's and just run them until I finally decide on my next heads. I ran out of time and money to do anything other than re-use the stuff I already had, that is the only reason so many of my old parts are on the car right now.

Oh wow...ummm...just because I like to play guessing games, I'll throw out a wild one...

I'm going to say you made 325/335 on the dyno

and I'll guess that you threw out the same time on the track because you've been out of practice with that beast.

:nice:

I'm gonna go with 295hp / 335ft-lbs...with such low compression and small heads, the torque is gonna be pretty decent, but even with having more cubes, the hp is going to be down. My buddy had a 331 with 9:1 compression and with ported gt40 heads, trick flow track heat intake, and mild crane cam he made like 280hp / 325ft-lbs. I'm gonna take a stab and say you ran 12.10 @ 112...total guess:D

My guess is 301 rwhp & 301 rwtq!!

Funny guy , huh???
Paul, once theres a few more guess's then tell them higher or lower and if anybody gets it dead on, then give them a prize, like $5000 or something...:rolleyes:

It was a dynojet.

Just to help make things clearer, the only changes from my old combo are the new shortblock, the holley intake, new valve springs, and the AEM. The cam was also retarded a few degrees as well.

Rob- That's not a bad idea... except for the prize part! LOL!

Finally! You had me fooled:nice: I just figured you were going for an N/A combo with post from a long time ago about building a 347. It was just an educated guess...

I can't imagine the power being a whole lot more than your old combination.

I figure it is inline with the cubic inches you have:shrug In the 325-335rwhp range...

I see boost in the future:nice:

paul, what valve covers do you use and did you need that 3/8" spacer because the systemax intake did not fit over the valve covers?

I still use stock valve covers that I beat into submission to clear the rockers. I only run the spacer because I bought the intake used and it didn't come with any hardware. Rather than trying to source the odd length upper to lower bolts, I opted to just get a 3/8" spacer. I can say that is doesn't seem to do squat for keeping heat out of the upper as suggested in their marketing.