Finally, I return...I have internet again!

I doubt much happened in my absence. I finally put my cable BS into the scrap heap, and got DSL again. DSL is the best, period. I even switched cable companies. After what I told Comcast I don't think they'll ever let me be a customer again. I like my Verizon, but damn, every five seconds it asks can I run this, or install this? I blocked everything, as the more I read about these "helpful" programs, the less I like technology. Something is probably logging every keystroke I make right now, either for marketing or for "my protection" by some agency granted unconstitutional power with Comrade Bush's Patriot Act.

• Sponsors (?)

You think that's bad, try running vista. I've been using it for months now, before it was released publicly and such through my school's program with microsoft, and every time I try to install something or run a program I haven't used in awhile, it asks if it's okay. If you've ever seen that mac commercial... it's a lot like that.

I had DSL when it first came out and hated it. I think you pay too much for the amount of bandwidth that you get. I'm very satisfied with the speed I get from Optimum Online.

As far as Vista goes, security comes with a convenience trade-off. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Would you rather it prompt you when you're installing software or have a trojan be able to install itself without your knowledge and then wreak havoc on your system?

Oh, I know the benefits being a computer science major and all :D It just sometimes takes away from the overall appeal of the operating system. It's either that, or the fact that a whole slew of programs don't even run.

You prefer DSL over cable? Why? The speed doesn't even compare. With Brighthouse / Road Runner, I'm getting an honest 15MB down, 3MB up. Yesterday, I downloaded a 100MB+ file in less than a minute. Try that on DSL. As for these helpful programs you're talking about? I just plugin and go with all my own software...I don't need anything from my ISP?

With Verizon FiOS I can haul azz. DSL is dedicated all the time, not sharing the bandwidth with 1000 other people. My friend has Road Runner, and he doesn't have many complaints about it. Comcast is horrible. I had their 10Mbps service, and I was lucky to get 1-2Mbps. Sometimes it slowed down to a crawl, especially during the peak evening hours. It locked all the time, and I had to constantly reset the modem. Unplug it, wait two minutes, turn it back on... Speakeasy tested the connection, and it was at the advertised speeds. In real use though, it was nowhere near it's advertised capability. Cable was crappy upload too. I was playing IL2 and Rainbow Six online, and the cable was to unstable. Sometimes I had low ping, most of the time no. It has like using 56k to play. With this DSL it is smooth as glass. I can get frame rates in the double digits now, not like those 0.0000 fps with Comcast.