Finally made it to the track. Carnage pics.

blackened88lx

Aug 9, 2006
Connecticut
Well I decided it was time to get my stock roach to the track before I tear into it. I just wanted to know what it would run because it seemed pretty strong for a stocker. It's an '88 LX hatch and my complete list of mods is full exhaust, 3.55s and an MGW shifter. I mounted my buddy's well used 275/50 bfg drag radials on my 10 holes, piled 3 other buddies in and drove an hour and a half to the track. I made my first pass pretty much right when we got there. The car was hot, and I had about 200lbs of tools, parts and other **** in the car. It didn't look like any of the other cars were hooking very good so I decided to take it easy on the first pass. I launched at about 4k, it hooked and bogged real bad. My slip didn't print but the 60 had to be a pitiful 2.2 or worse. It ran a 14.0 @ 99mph that pass. I was pretty happy with that considering the disgusting 60 and had hope for the next pass. The car didn't get to cool off much for the 2nd pass, and I still didn't empty it out. I did a good 2nd gear burnout and decided to launch it for all it's worth. I held it at about 4k and right before the green I put it through the boards and dumped the clutch when I heard the limiter. I got about 2 inches out of that pass. I don't know how this stock junker breaks so much ****. I took AAA home and this is what we found on the repair Saturday night.

P1010002.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010009.jpg

My buddy had axles, so we thought it would be a quick throw an axle in it 1 hour job. :rolleyes: The axle basically twisted, broke and shattered all at the same time. The spline side that was in the carrier was so badly mangled that we couldn't get it to go in to get the c-clip off. We ended up pulling the whole carrier out and disassembled the limited slip to get the piece out with the spider gear, then pressed the piece out and threw it back together. We did this all at night on our backs in my buddy's driveway.
I'd like to make it back to the track one more time. I don't like bench racing, but I think if I emptied it out, iced it down, and threw on my power steering short belt with a 1.7 or 1.8 I could squeak out a pretty low 13 @ 101 or 102.

• Sponsors (?)

Axles seem to be hit and miss. My Ranger/Aerostar axles have seen many 100hp hole shots on full slicks.

But I am upgrading before going out again...I do NOT want to break an axle like that.

damn that sux. what part of CT u from?
Windham
owwww.....my freakin' axle shaft!

time for a 31-spline upgrade?
Yeah, I had plans for 31s, a Detroit locker, and c-clip eliminators anyway.
Axles seem to be hit and miss. My Ranger/Aerostar axles have seen many 100hp hole shots on full slicks.

But I am upgrading before going out again...I do NOT want to break an axle like that.
Yeah, I've seen them take a lot of abuse, which is why I was not worried about launching it that hard. But apparently my luck took over.

I street drive it quite a bit. It sees a lot more "street passes" than track passes. I'm not really worried about the noise, I hear they make quite a racket. I'm planning on building a non-synchro face plate shifted Tremec too so it will be a nice and quiet drivetrain :rolleyes: