fire help!!!!

alright, its my buddies 93, Thursday we put a clutch cable and 3 position quadrant in it. there was no wires or anything i could see under dash that could get chaffed. the quadrant was a little bit bigger than stock but wasnt hitting on anything. saturday night at 2am i have a fire investigator banging on my door. make a long story short, he said that it was caused by electrical under the dash. I just wander how it could have satrted without nothing being on. would any of you guys think there is anyway it started from this?I didnt have to remove the pedal assembly to put parts in. He had no insurance and car never left the driveway. i just dont think im responsible for it, but am helping him the best i can. thanks guys ..
dannys mustang.jpg
dannys mustang.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I don't see how that could have caused a fire. Even if you guys knicked a wire accidentally, a fuse or link should have blown. There are some wires under the dash that are hot without the key on (radio memory wire, hazard flashers, etc;)....

That really sucks. My buddy had a similar fire in his 70 nova SS after washing/detailing it in his driveway. When inside for about 10 min came back out and everything was on fire. Total loss. And yeah the insurance he did have only gave him enough to cover the engine build cost(not 1/2 of what he had in it) :(

Sorry about your car If you took out the gauge cluster to install the clutch cable/quadrant..the circuit board may have burned out starting the fire. I have seen this happend but i was able to pulled the battery cables and unplug the harness at the back of the circuit board of the gauge cluster before it burned anything up. I had just installed a new clutch and a new cable and i was setting the shift stops on the shifter and i notice smoke from the gauge cluster.. that's when i unplugged everything.