Firing Order changes with cam?

94pony

Jul 6, 2003
Arlington, Tx
I was just browsing online and found people talking about changing out their cam and that changed their firing order?? Is this true? One guy said "Try: 15426378. That's the non-HO order. Only HOs and 351Ws used 13726548. Sounds like you might not have an HO firing order cam." I have a 94 GT with a b-cam and stock heads. Is my firing order different than it was stock?

• Sponsors (?)

Crank configuration will define firing order. Nuff' said.

If I choose to pick a cam which in not compatible with the firing order of my crank setup...well...then shoot me and take my money...as a fool and his money will soon be parted...

I was just browsing online and found people talking about changing out their cam and that changed their firing order?? Is this true? One guy said "Try: 15426378. That's the non-HO order. Only HOs and 351Ws used 13726548. Sounds like you might not have an HO firing order cam." I have a 94 GT with a b-cam and stock heads. Is my firing order different than it was stock?

If I choose to pick a cam which in not compatible with the firing order of my crank setup...well...then shoot me and take my money...as a fool and his money will soon be parted...

Not true. Cam determines the firing order. When I had the engine in my 67 rebuild, the cam I installed required the HO firing order. The crank was the same before and after.

To answer the OP's question, with a B-cam, you will still use the stock (HO/351) firing order.

Not true. Cam determines the firing order. When I had the engine in my 67 rebuild, the cam I installed required the HO firing order. The crank was the same before and after.

To answer the OP's question, with a B-cam, you will still use the stock (HO/351) firing order.

yup. cam determines firing order. the cam is what opens and closes the valves, not the crank.

+3 cranks go nothing to do with firing order. i used to have a NON HO cam, you could have any firing order you wanted with a custom cam.

:uzi: so wheres the money

Your Drunk, and need some rest.

No different than guys taking and older 5.0 block and using the HO firing order. Crank doesnt care( in this case)

When 3 and 7 and in the Induction stroke, 5 and 4 are in the Exhaust stroke. Just takes a cam change. Not a complete dis-assembly of the Engine. Come on dude.:Zip2:

I concede...

Got my head caught up me arse thinking/knowing that you can't simply change crank....but YES a cam could be setup for a variety of firing orders....

Should have engaged mind before mouth...

No excuse for bad information... My apologies gents.