First attempt up in flames

hllon4whls

BANNED
Founding Member
Jan 17, 2002
Covington
Really more like my first attempt at flames. I bought some of the 1/8 plastic tape from eastwood co. I laid out my flames (took all of about 2 minutes with it). I tried to mimic what I had seen on all of the hot rod shows on TV. What do you know, I had some recognizable flames. Not perfect by any means, but a start. The tape was a little pricey ($29 for 3 rolls shipped) but still some fun.

I am thinking of doing my mailbox after I get a little better at it.

This is an old desktop computer case. The tape did not stick well because it was not smooth and I did absolutley no prep. Any way, here it is, so be gentle, its my first time.

PDR_0003.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

For a first attempt, I think they look pretty good. It sounds like you actually like flames - so work some more color variation in between the beginning and the tips. The only flames I've ever seen that I liked were painted in clear - you know - so you couldn't see them at all. :)

Flames just seem to be one of those things that never go out of style. I would eventually like to break up my all black car with some flames, but there is going to be a lot of computer case and mailbox painting before that ever happens.

I just worked with the paint I had on hand. I had red, white, black and chrome colored paint in rattle cans, so I just went with that. A green pinstripe would set them right off!

I doubt I will ever get past the mailbox. Getting ready to buy rental property, have a kid and take a management position all in the next 5 months. The poor stang will have 2 inches of dust built up. The dog will have to keep her company.

"Flames just seem to be one of those things that never go out of style."

It's subjective - some of us wish they'd never come into style. I can't imagine a worse way to screw up a perfectly good paint job. But, I realize that's just my take on it - consequently, you won't see flames on any of my stuff. But, if you like them, and clearly you do -- go for it.

Michael Yount said:
"Flames just seem to be one of those things that never go out of style."

It's subjective - some of us wish they'd never come into style. I can't imagine a worse way to screw up a perfectly good paint job. But, I realize that's just my take on it - consequently, you won't see flames on any of my stuff. But, if you like them, and clearly you do -- go for it.
Agreed.

But I do like ghost flames. I dont like racing stripes either.:shrug: