first ever drags..

flaming70vw

Dec 13, 2004
Well i finally took my car to the track (LACR) a little disappointed. I have bbk shorties, catalytic h-pipe, flowmaster aftercat, K&N in stock filter box and 3.73 gears. She is an auto with 104,000 miles.
reaction= 0.242
60 ft. =2.3
e.t= 15.966
mph= 86.91
Altitude= 2,710 ft
I was upset but a new corvette was only running high 14s so that made me feel better. Are these go times for my mods? what should i do next? These times are launching @ 1500 rpm or so due to tranny, on 245/45/17 street tires, and not shifting the auto just letting it do its thing, i need to be able to drive home.

• Sponsors (?)

is 1500 the highest these cars will footbrake? I think that your times are about right for the altitude etc...., you need to get some tires on there so you can get that 60' down from the looks of it...... unless these autos just come out of the hole that slow....

jason

That's not too bad. Your 60' times were terrible (no offense, I've pulled plenty of 2.3's myself), so if you got those down you'd be in the mid 15's for sure. Then you are at a high altitude, so that's gonna slow you down pretty good. Somewhere there's a sealevel adjuster for ET's, I just don't remember where though. FWIW, when I had only gears, I only got a 15.4@90mph in my stick shift vert.

LACR website had a sealevel adjuster. it put me right at 15.4 at 89.7mph. I could probably get it to foot brake a little higher. I need to work on my launch. Put the tires start to spin. I didn't want to be up at the line spinning my tires waiting for green. But that just takes pracitce. Now i can start modding. :D

How hot was the car when you ran it? You are very close to what I'd expect out of that combo, but I think you are about 1-2 tenths and 1-1.5mph off. This could be due to the temps at which you ran it. Try to run the car as cold as possible, if the temp gauage is on or above the N its too hot.

Supercharger...

Actually I got a 15.54 at 92 mph with a 2.2 60'. My car still has the stock 3.27's with an AODE. I didn't bother powerbraking it at all. When I've tried that I lose traction.
So when the third yellow lit, I just mashed the gas.
mytight95 asked if the autos come out of the hole that slow, and really they do...
I didn't spin at all when I left and still got a 2.2 60' :(

flaming70vw said:
the car was warm. What would be the next bang for the buck mod for my auto and no nitrous.......yet. Still need to go to work and back.

Under drive pulleys are good for a couple tenths and can be inexpensive. Advancing the timing is also good for a couple tenths. My first time out totally stock everything I ran 15.8s. I added U/D pulleys and bumped the timing to 14* and ran 15.2s.

Another thing is to go to the track with as little gas as possible. I go with just less than a 1/4 tank. Fuel adds plenty of weight.