First impression & upgrades?

Pig

Sep 27, 2002
North ATL, GA
I finally got my GT500 after months of phone calls, frustration, hope, and disappointment. But I love it! My next car had to be a convertible, and when I saw the spy photos, I said "They BETTER make it in a vert!" Its so much fun. I'm used to my 96, and hadn't even driven a S197 until my GT500, but the body feels much more solid than the old unibody (even being a vert). Maybe its the seats, the side bolsters hold you in place well. The suspension itself is pretty soft and HAS to come down an inch or two...feel like I'm off-roading. Also, I hate the way the car leans way back during hard throttle. I mean...I enjoy feeling like I'm in an airplane during takeoff, but I like seeing the road also. The shifter feels a bit sloppy too, but I'm used to the Pro50 in my 96. Traction is definitely an issue. Lot of wheel hop and the stock tires suck. I had a hard time launching at the strip. I ran consistant mid-13 runs, but my 60ft times sucked. Go easy on me, I need more practice. My best was a 13.45, bone stock with 500 miles on the clock.

That being said, I'm thinking of upgrades, however warranty is always an issue. I'd like to get a new shifter, maybe the Steeda Triax. I'd like to lower it and was looking at the Eibach kit, but I don't want to make it too harsh. I'm also leaning towards the Steeda 20" Ultralight wheels and better tires (anything to help the weight). What have you had experience with? I know that warranty service is pretty much at the dealer's discretion, some are cool, most are not. And I need to get in good with one locally. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Pig

• Sponsors (?)

I finally got my GT500 after months of phone calls, frustration, hope, and disappointment. But I love it! My next car had to be a convertible, and when I saw the spy photos, I said "They BETTER make it in a vert!" Its so much fun. I'm used to my 96, and hadn't even driven a S197 until my GT500, but the body feels much more solid than the old unibody (even being a vert). Maybe its the seats, the side bolsters hold you in place well. The suspension itself is pretty soft and HAS to come down an inch or two...feel like I'm off-roading. Also, I hate the way the car leans way back during hard throttle. I mean...I enjoy feeling like I'm in an airplane during takeoff, but I like seeing the road also. The shifter feels a bit sloppy too, but I'm used to the Pro50 in my 96. Traction is definitely an issue. Lot of wheel hop and the stock tires suck. I had a hard time launching at the strip. I ran consistant mid-13 runs, but my 60ft times sucked. Go easy on me, I need more practice. My best was a 13.45, bone stock with 500 miles on the clock.

That being said, I'm thinking of upgrades, however warranty is always an issue. I'd like to get a new shifter, maybe the Steeda Triax. I'd like to lower it and was looking at the Eibach kit, but I don't want to make it too harsh. I'm also leaning towards the Steeda 20" Ultralight wheels and better tires (anything to help the weight). What have you had experience with? I know that warranty service is pretty much at the dealer's discretion, some are cool, most are not. And I need to get in good with one locally. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Pig

Honestly, I think the "lean" back you feel is worse in the convertibles. Mine does it really bad as well, compared to a buddy of mine's coupe.

Congrats on the car.

My recommendations for mods. Only do ones that are reversable and keep your stock parts. If you have problems, put it back to stock and roll it in. It's much easier that way and you can go to any dealer. Just my experiences I've had with my mach and terminator, it was just easier to take them back to stock and to another dealer.

I haven't driven mine much but love it so far.

First thing I changed was the exhaust, I went out and bought the FRPP 'loud' kit (Borla Stingers) two days after picking it up.

Easy install, made a nice difference in the sound.

x1.jpg

Looks a lot better too :nice:

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 101