First mod that is cheapest?

• Sponsors (?)

gears are a good bang for the buck mod. Exhaust is good too, wount give you as much go but a mustang with good exhust sounds sooooo good.
Is it auto or manual? If its auto a shift kit will help a lot.

Cheap beginning mods
-Yank the air silencer out (free)
-Put in a K&N (40, or do a cold air, no HP gain really, but it looks good)
-FMS 9mm plug wires, or MSD (50-80, dramatic diff if you still have stock wires like I did- of course do cap, rotor, and good plugs at this time)
-Crane PS-91 coil (50, might make diff, hard to say, I noticed a little)
-Bump timing from 10 degrees BTDC to ~13 BTDC (free, unless you don't have a timing light- get one)
-Check your TPS voltage (free, unless you don't have a multimeter- get one)
-Don't bother with synthetics, expensive and no point when you have a high mileage motor. I like Valvoline 20-50 VR-1 Racing, but I also in in SoCal where it rarely gets cold enough to be an issue.
-Gears are a big bang for the buck, (90-199, plus install, don't try it at home) I like 3.55 for a street car. Unless you race often, 3.73's will just waste more gas and make your car less fun on trips.
-After the gears is a great time to do a good shifter, lets you enjoy your new gears more.
- I would definately do exhaust next, price really ranges here, I have ~700.00 in my exhaust...
Have fun!

On a budget? do the junkyard upgrade...

Gears - 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear axle - disc brakes and 3.55 or 3.73 gears in one package for $125-$300. Add another $100-$200 or so to complete the brake upgrade.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. You need a $25-$35 flange adapter from Pro-M to fit the stock air ducting. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1

95-97 Ford Explorer intake manifold & throttle body $150-$300. The intake manifold flows 220 CFM +, much better than stock. Throttle body is 65 MM, bigger than the 60 MM on stock stangs. I got a 96 with EGR passages that match the stock setup, so my smog gear works just like factory. You’ll need a 65 MM EGR spacer & new gaskets for $65-$90 so you have a place to mount the EGR & throttle linkage.

3G alternator from 94-95 Mustangs or other Ford. $20-$80. A must have to make the electrical system work like it should. You’ll need a 4 gauge power wire and a 125-135 amp fuse to go with it about $15- $30.

Lincoln MK VIII electric fan -$40-$160. Free up some HP by not having to drive the stock fan. The 3G alternator upgrade is a must have prerequisite before you do the MK VIII fan. You won’t have enough electrical power if you don’t do the 3G upgrade.

*1.) Pro-M has revised their website lately, but here's what I found.

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=224 plastic adapter

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=223 metal adapter.

I got a metal one from Powered by Ford for $35 and tax. That was about a year ago.