First Oil Change Filter Dissection Pics

Tron84

Jan 8, 2012
I did my first oil change yesterday on my '12 GT. She has just over 1000 miles on it.

First thing I took notice of was how dark the oil that came out was, It looked like oil that had been run to the end of it's useful life. I hope that it is from engine break in and isn't a sign of things to come.

As you can see from the pictures, there was some debris caught in the filter. You can see the larger aluminum chunks pretty well, but there is also quite a few small "flakes" of metal caught at the bottom of every pleat.

This is the first time i've ever cut a filter open, can anyone on here with more experience with this chime in on weather this is a normal amount for break in and the reason the oil was so dark at just 1000 miles.

Thanks Guys!! P1010640.JPG P1010642.JPG P1010643.JPG P1010644.JPG P1010645.JPG P1010646.JPG P1010647.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure that's normal for break-in. I can't imagine that all of the OEM's go to the extreme of washing every orifice in a block with pipe cleaners, etc. Luckily, all of that is in the filter and not in your engine. With your next oil change, send a sample off to Blackstone Labs and they'll tell you for sure what condition your engine is in, based on your oil's condition.