First oil change, what to use?

1st question is how often do you plan on changing your oil?????

I change mine at 3,000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first. Generally 6 months.
In this case the is no sense in spending the extra money on Synthetic.

I use all MotorCraft stuff and spend $15.00 an oil change.
At my intervals the oil is no where near being broken down yet.

• Sponsors (?)

Well according to your manual Ford recommends using Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w20 with a Motorcraft filter. Supposedly thats what the car comes with from the factory. However like many on here said as long as you use a quality oil you can use anything. As far as the filter goes I would HIGHLY recommend only using the Motorcraft filters or at the very least ANYTHING but a Fram filter.

I know as far as oils go people always claim certain brands improved the cars performance with no hard evidence other than the statement "after I put such and such brand oil in my car seemed twice as fast and more responsive!". This is almost always just in the person's head. But I can honestly say as far as the Filter goes Fram has to be the worst brand out there. They are very cheaply made and will cause valve rattle upon startup. Once I swtiched back to a Motorcraft fliter the valve noise stopped.

wix also is very quality filter. I use 15/50 mobil 1 , change every 5k miles, I send oil sampler in for analyse , they say i can change oils every 7k or more. so mobil 1 got my vote.

I really hate to knock a business, but DO NOT USE FRAM FILTERS...

Good advice that I would like to agree with ThunderHorse.

They recalled a bunch not too long ago because they broke down internally and blocked off oil flow!!!

Well according to your manual Ford recommends using Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w20 with a Motorcraft filter.

QUOTE]

ummmm no it doesnt. who tought you to read? your manual states motorcraft synthetic blend.

ummmm your momma? But seriously if you wanna go down that road then who TAUGHT you to spell?

Yes I stand corrected. Sorry I meant to say Mototcraft but as I was typing I was thinking of what I use in my car. The manual does say Motorcraft SAE 5w20. I got the brand wrong. Its not a matter of calling my reading skills into question but rather my memory.

I really hate to knock a business, but DO NOT USE FRAM FILTERS...

Good advice that I would like to agree with ThunderHorse.

They recalled a bunch not too long ago because they broke down internally and blocked off oil flow!!!

Tell me about it man. When I first got my car I used to lurk various forums and would run across threads about how Fram used "inferior components" such as cardboard endcaps that leaked and poorly made bypass valves that stuck open. Something to do with the bypass valve would cause the valve rattle upon startup according to some people. But then other said they used Fram for years with no problem. I just shrugged it off to people being bias much like many people are when it comes to motor oil. But then I did the first oil change on the GT using a Fram filter and about a month later started getting an awful rattle that came from the motor. It gradually got worse and I chalked it up to the cold weather. But then I began to think "valve rattle" as I read more into what many forums were refering to "the orange cans of death". When it came time for my next oil change I ran the recommended Motorcraft filer and behold NO VALVE NOISE upon startup.

Tell me about it man. When I first got my car I used to lurk various forums and would run across threads about how Fram used "inferior components" such as cardboard endcaps that leaked and poorly made bypass valves that stuck open. Something to do with the bypass valve would cause the valve rattle upon startup according to some people. But then other said they used Fram for years with no problem. I just shrugged it off to people being bias much like many people are when it comes to motor oil. But then I did the first oil change on the GT using a Fram filter and about a month later started getting an awful rattle that came from the motor. It gradually got worse and I chalked it up to the cold weather. But then I began to think "valve rattle" as I read more into what many forums were refering to "the orange cans of death". When it came time for my next oil change I ran the recommended Motorcraft filer and behold NO VALVE NOISE upon startup.

:lol:

The only vehicle that I use a Fram on is the beater truck, probaly less than 5-600 miles a year and gets the oil blackened up in just a few hundred miles anyway.

I am running Castrol syn blend in my 97 GT I had no idea what kind of oil it had in it previously so I went ahead and got the syn blen 50/50 mix. I am also using a Fram filter should i change it? I am also running Valvoline conv in my 1962 thunderbird. You guys should have seen the oil pan on my thunderbird when I took it off. I amost dropped dead when I saw a distributor shaft bushing in the pan in the sludge. I took out my distributor and it had one on it so I guess it broke and the mechanics were to lazy to get the old bushing out. Car runs great for being in storage for 14 years. My Mach 1 has quaker state in it. I am going to swich to catsrol syntec. and get a MC filter.

I am also using a Fram filter should i change it?

Well that depends. Does the car make any sort of valve noise when you start it or any other issues? Like I said earlier, while there are a significant number of people using Fram oil filters and having problems there are also many people who use them just fine with no issues at all. After all not EVERY Fram filter that rolls off the assembly line is defective but in my honest opinion the number of defective filters that they let leave their factory outweighs the number of properly working filters. Otherwise you wouldn't be seeing so many threads/ articles across the net about people having issues.

That being said my advice to you would be if your not experiencing any issues with the Fram oil filter you are running now then don't go running to the store and swapping it out just because of what you read here. I would say just wait until your next oil change and then change it for a better quality oil filter. Even if the one you have now has no problems thats not to say you'll be one of the lucky ones the next time around. So if all is well just swap it out for something else on your next oil change, a Motorcraft, a Purolator or any other quality oil filter is only like an extra $1.50 than a Fram. Hope this helps.:nice:

listen

use the moble 1 if your on a budget and expeshaly for the first oil change. I always dump oil into the filter first befor i put it on to. I dont realy know why, i just do thats what I was tought. If your rollen in dough then yes go with the royal purple but keep the moble 1 filter. the first oil change is major. the oil that you use will become your cars favorite and its comfort so be ready to commit to that oil or be ready for problems.

use the moble 1 if your on a budget and expeshaly for the first oil change. I always dump oil into the filter first befor i put it on to. I dont realy know why, i just do thats what I was tought. If your rollen in dough then yes go with the royal purple but keep the moble 1 filter. the first oil change is major. the oil that you use will become your cars favorite and its comfort so be ready to commit to that oil or be ready for problems.

Well pouring some oil in the filter does serve a purpose... Its to prevent from having a "dry start" after you change the oil. Some people rub some oil on the rubber gasket on the filter to create a seal when you screw it on.

Im sorry but I don't think you can really consider Mobil 1 "budget oil" it is significantly more expensive than conventional oil as is ANY synthetic. Royal purple isn't going to add horse power or anything special. Also I don't know how you are under the impression that if you don't commit to an oil your going to have problems.:rolleyes: I have owned many older muscle cars mustangs, dusters, challengers etc and never actually committed to an oil. My other car is a 96 Lincoln and I have switched back and forth between conventional oils, and synthetics of different weights and brands and the car is over 10 years old and still running 130,000+ miles strong. My GT is a 2002 and I run Mobil 1 in it now but have switched oils many times and have no problems. The belief that once you switch to full synthetics you can never go back to conventional is a myth there is no concrete evidence that it does anything. Ask anyone on here, everyone has their own brand that they prefer but there are many people on here who have switched back and forth between oils.

I have tramendous valve noise it sounds like an exhaust leak but it is not a loud tick tick all the time. But anyways I agree with pouring some oil in the filter before starting. I do it with my old t bird because the filter is verticle and I can pour as much oil as it can hold. unlike my 97 that is horizontal and some comes out. Also these newer motors are built so well they last forever so I can see people switching back and forth to syntecs and conv.

ummmm your momma? But seriously if you wanna go down that road then who TAUGHT you to spell?

Yes I stand corrected. Sorry I meant to say Mototcraft but as I was typing I was thinking of what I use in my car. The manual does say Motorcraft SAE 5w20. I got the brand wrong. Its not a matter of calling my reading skills into question but rather my memory.

never said i could spell. but at least i can read. :nice: