First race in the cobra!

hookups333

Sep 20, 2005
Jax Florida
My frend just got an 04 mustang gt so we raced. We raced 3 times. The first and second times were 50 rolls since we were on the highway. First time i missed 4th so he won even tho i had him in 3rd. Second time i messed up really bad instead of goin into 4th ,goin about 80, it went into 2nd and i crapped myself. The last race was a 60 roll and i beat him. So first thing i need to do is learn to drive and second i need more power. Oh yeah the only real thing done is 3.73's so thats why i beat him

• Sponsors (?)

BlackVert said:
stock for stock, the 04 car should be faster, shouldn't it?

gears wouldn't give the 95 enough advantage to win from a 50 roll, would they?

is a 95 cobra that much faster than a 95 gt?

The 95 Cobras are underrated at 240hp, they are a solid mid to low 14 second car stock, which is right on par with a 99-04 GT. Gears are good for up to .5 seconds given the right conditions, so I can definitely see him beating the 04. Plus, he said his friend just got the 04, so he's probably not used to it yet.

BlackVert said:
stock for stock, the 04 car should be faster, shouldn't it?

gears wouldn't give the 95 enough advantage to win from a 50 roll, would they?

is a 95 cobra that much faster than a 95 gt?

Gears wouldn't give him any advantage from a 50mph roll. It hurts, if anything. My buddies 93 has more power than mine, but I can stroke him on the highway with my stock gear vs. his 4.10's, and yes a Cobra is quite a bit faster than the GT.
Brandon

ROLLIN5.0 said:
Gears wouldn't give him any advantage from a 50mph roll. It hurts, if anything. My buddies 93 has more power than mine, but I can stroke him on the highway with my stock gear vs. his 4.10's, and yes a Cobra is quite a bit faster than the GT.
Brandon

What? That's absolutely not true.

With 3.73's at 50mph he'd be at 4800rpms in second or 3250 in 3rd gear, with stock 3.08's he'd be at 4000rpms in 2nd and 2700rpms in 3rd. Punching the car at 4800/3250 verus 4000/2700 will DEFINITELY enable the car to accelerate quicker as you are starting at an RPM where more power is made and with the added gear ratio it will get into the higher RPM's where the big power is made. Unless you are racing to 150+mph where the lower gear ratios will force a shift into 5th gear, gears will give you an advantage everytime over a stock gears. Don't forget about torque multiplication as well from gears too which also aids in acceleration.

Stock for stock the 99-up GT's will pull a few more MPH in the 1/4 than the 94-95 cobras (~98mph for the '99 and ~96mph for the 94-95 cobra) but with gears, exhaust, and an intake the cobra should pull a few more MPH than the stock 99. It would be a driver's race though on the street.

To the original poster, it goes without saying to be VERY careful that you do NOT do the 3rd to 2nd gear shift again. I did it last april and my car is still down with bent exhaust valves. You are VERY lucky if you didn't hurt something.

To cmant i have a 77mm maf and 77mm throttle body but i dont have an actual intake sorry for the confusion on that one. and to killer- i plan not to ever do that again and i didnt think the tranny would let it into that gear at that high rpm atleast my other car doesnt let it.

Killercanary said:
What? That's absolutely not true.

With 3.73's at 50mph he'd be at 4800rpms in second or 3250 in 3rd gear, with stock 3.08's he'd be at 4000rpms in 2nd and 2700rpms in 3rd. Punching the car at 4800/3250 verus 4000/2700 will DEFINITELY enable the car to accelerate quicker as you are starting at an RPM where more power is made and with the added gear ratio it will get into the higher RPM's where the big power is made. Unless you are racing to 150+mph where the lower gear ratios will force a shift into 5th gear, gears will give you an advantage everytime over a stock gears. Don't forget about torque multiplication as well from gears too which also aids in acceleration.

Stock for stock the 99-up GT's will pull a few more MPH in the 1/4 than the 94-95 cobras (~98mph for the '99 and ~96mph for the 94-95 cobra) but with gears, exhaust, and an intake the cobra should pull a few more MPH than the stock 99. It would be a driver's race though on the street.

To the original poster, it goes without saying to be VERY careful that you do NOT do the 3rd to 2nd gear shift again. I did it last april and my car is still down with bent exhaust valves. You are VERY lucky if you didn't hurt something.

It's posts like this that make me say GO :SNSign: