First race in the cobra!

Killercanary said:
What? That's absolutely not true.

With 3.73's at 50mph he'd be at 4800rpms in second or 3250 in 3rd gear, with stock 3.08's he'd be at 4000rpms in 2nd and 2700rpms in 3rd. Punching the car at 4800/3250 verus 4000/2700 will DEFINITELY enable the car to accelerate quicker as you are starting at an RPM where more power is made and with the added gear ratio it will get into the higher RPM's where the big power is made. Unless you are racing to 150+mph where the lower gear ratios will force a shift into 5th gear, gears will give you an advantage everytime over a stock gears. Don't forget about torque multiplication as well from gears too which also aids in acceleration.
:Word: nicely put, Paul.

• Sponsors (?)

Killercanary said:
What? That's absolutely not true.

With 3.73's at 50mph he'd be at 4800rpms in second or 3250 in 3rd gear, with stock 3.08's he'd be at 4000rpms in 2nd and 2700rpms in 3rd. Punching the car at 4800/3250 verus 4000/2700 will DEFINITELY enable the car to accelerate quicker as you are starting at an RPM where more power is made and with the added gear ratio it will get into the higher RPM's where the big power is made. Unless you are racing to 150+mph where the lower gear ratios will force a shift into 5th gear, gears will give you an advantage everytime over a stock gears. Don't forget about torque multiplication as well from gears too which also aids in acceleration.

That's great theory, but that has not been what I have seen from experience. Every geared 5.0 that I have seen seems to fall on it's face once they get out of second gear.
Brandon

hookups333 said:
My frend just got an 04 mustang gt so we raced. We raced 3 times. The first and second times were 50 rolls since we were on the highway. First time i missed 4th so he won even tho i had him in 3rd. Second time i messed up really bad instead of goin into 4th ,goin about 80, it went into 2nd and i crapped myself. The last race was a 60 roll and i beat him. So first thing i need to do is learn to drive and second i need more power. Oh yeah the only real thing done is 3.73's so thats why i beat him

I beleive you about shifting to 4th. It has happened to me on several occasions and can easily be done for some reason. When you are in 3rd...and pushing the RPM's up past 5500...and go to shift down to second, it takes a second for it to pop into 4th. Dont ask me why though I don't know but for anyone has a 5-speed manual I bet there are more of us out there that have done this before. IMO The "poor" shift is caused by not waiting for the RPM to go down some for the shift to occur and to "kick" into 4th gear. Basically, I dont shift so fast into 4th no more, scared its gonna do it again. Its happened twice to me!!!:nonono: :mad:

When I "poorly" shifted...it surged and heaved forward and then the tires screeched!:eek: Is that what happened to you hookups333?

I've done the 3rd in to 2nd befor not in the stang it was in my maxima it wasin't a good sound the car jump back and start'ed to jump off the rev limter. I thought it was over but the car ran fine after that good thing. I just raced an 02 5spd with just a Xpipe we went from a 45 roll I had him by a car all the up to 80 and then he put a car on me this was the last race of four races. I whould get him on the low end and he whould pull up top. I was surpised (sp?) I thought he whould get me any way we went, anything can happen on the street :nice:

ROLLIN5.0 said:
That's great theory, but that has not been what I have seen from experience. Every geared 5.0 that I have seen seems to fall on it's face once they get out of second gear.
Brandon
mine picks up 22mph from the 1/8th to the 1/4, i wouldnt say its falling on its face. When i was getting the shift points ironed out, it was picking up almost 24mph

Yeah blackonblack the whole car started buckin and bouncin off the rev limiter and slowed down really fast. I didnt hear any screachin tires, but there was a lot of other noise and the fact that i was freakin out didnt help. I think im gonna try shifting a little slower into fourth from now on.

hookups333 said:
To cmant i have a 77mm maf and 77mm throttle body but i dont have an actual intake sorry for the confusion on that one. and to killer- i plan not to ever do that again and i didnt think the tranny would let it into that gear at that high rpm atleast my other car doesnt let it.

77mm MAF and a 77MM TB where the heck did you get that TB?
As for a 99+GT vs. a 94-95 cobra. Its all in the driver they are really close. I know from personal experience. Also missing shifts on the stock shifter happens to most everyone. I've gotten so used to my stock shifter I don't know if ill ever get rid of it.