• Sponsors (?)

With a 306 cu putting down 231RWHP my 65's best time out of six runs was this:

R/T... 0.250
60'...1.937
1/8...8.930
MPH...77.36
1/4...14.081
MPH...95.28

That does it, I'm getting that 408 this year.

you have power to run low 13's. You'll be disappointed in the 408 too if you don't get the whole combination worked out.
Your RWHP and trap speed don't match up well at all, either somethings gotten out of tune or your car weighs 4000 lbs.

That first time at the track (or first time back) seems to always be dissappointing. Our cars are never as fast as we think they will be...... However I will tell you that you will be happy as you make minor changes that yield results....

Your rwhp numbers put you at around 275 fwhp? I think you should be trapping close to around 100mph. Your 60 isnt bad for street tires. Just looks like your not pulling hard up top. What trans/gearing do you have?

With a 306 cu putting down 231RWHP my 65's best time out of six runs was this:

R/T... 0.250
60'...1.937
1/8...8.930
MPH...77.36
1/4...14.081
MPH...95.28

That does it, I'm getting that 408 this year.

your reaction time, and your 60ft are a bit slow, but acceptable for a first time effort. before you build that 408, get this combination dialed in first, as well as get used to driving the car. start by working on your reaction time, get it down to .125, and then get your 60ft time down to 1.85. once that is accomplished, you will be on your way to the mid 13's at over 100mph.

I love posting this one:

times.jpg

This demonstrates the learning curve from the first time I ever took the 65 (and myself) to the track. Learning to drive the car, figuring out little things like the car wasn't holding 2nd gear, learning launch RPMs, changing air pressure, how much burn out to do, etc.

Attachments

• times.jpg
    times.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 52
I have a spreadsheet that I built that shows almost every pass I ever made in the car from 03' to the last time I raced it on slicks in 05'. My spreadsheet documents the major changes I made from a carb change, to open headers, to Vic Jr intake to another carb change.....

1st pass ever was a 12.53 @ 106MPH

Last pass was in 05 at WFC8 - 11.28 @ 119MPH

This just goes to show you that little tweaks and some wheel time can net some significant gains. I made this progress with the same motor with minor changes(same gears (3:70's), same stall, and the same Cam, same heads etc)

My next pass will be in March with;

new gears - 4:11's
new stall - 4000 stall
new Cam
New Shocks (rear)
and another new carb (I got it right this time)
maybe new 6 cyl springs (if I get it done)

The spradsheet will continue....... until I get a new motor, then I will start a new spreadsheet.

start by working on your reaction time, get it down to .125, and then get your 60ft time down to 1.85. once that is accomplished, you will be on your way to the mid 13's at over 100mph.

your reaction time has NOTHING to do with your et.

your 60ft, et, and mph seems to be inline with each other, so there doesn't seem to be a glaring problems. what rpm are your shifting at? what rpm do you cross the line at?

your reaction time, and your 60ft are a bit slow, but acceptable for a first time effort. before you build that 408, get this combination dialed in first, as well as get used to driving the car. start by working on your reaction time, get it down to .125, and then get your 60ft time down to 1.85. once that is accomplished, you will be on your way to the mid 13's at over 100mph.

No offense meant, but RT has **** to do w/ET. Once he trips the light the time starts... he could have a 5sec RT and it won't effect his ET.

IMO, if you had street tires then a 1.9 60' is great and you could get a little more out of it, but sticky tires would be better. If you're using sticky tires then a little improvement is there.

Are you having problems w/shifting? Granny shifting, speed shifting, or driving it normal? If you had the car dyno'd and tuned it then, depending on weather conditions you'll see a 13.5 @ ~97mph w/seat time. Did you have it dyno tuned? If not, then tune as you go. Good advice about tracking changes made to the car, add weather conditions to your list to help tune accordingly.

forgive an old crew chief when he says to work on ones reaction times. yes i know that rt's dont mean anything when it comes to 1/4 mile times, but it makes the driver concentrate, which helps overall.

forgive an old crew chief when he says to work on ones reaction times. yes i know that rt's dont mean anything when it comes to 1/4 mile times, but it makes the driver concentrate, which helps overall.

You are hereby forgiven, but good point, RT's helps you to win and that's why I go......

ET's are a great way to measure your cars potential but as a bracket racer when it comes down to the money (in your pocket) you better be consistant and cut a good light. Nothing is better than putting the faster guys on the trailer all day long because your cutting near perfect lights....

I've been taken out many times by 14 second cars because I get anxious at the tree watching them head on down the track. I would much rather race a quicker car....

OK - hold the flames, I know I am off topic..... but I am itching to get back to the track after a year off, i just can't stand it..

Cannonball - Spray that 306 if your not happy.

I thought you prolly knew that :D I agree w/you too; working on the RT will help win races. Like racing itself, seat time will be benificial.

I think his 60' is good for street tires, heck I'm still learning to lauch w/ the small bfg's 215/60/14 dr's and have a best of only 2.0x. I ran my 289 to a best 13.84 @100.65. I think w/ that trap speed of 95 your et is pretty good, I've seen many guys in the high 14's w/ the same of faster mph but bad 60' times. Like has been said 1st time out is never what you hope it will be. Mine wasn't but w/ little adjustments your times will go down. My biggest improvement was just supsension set on my 65. Rancho's out back, CE 90/10's in front, clamped leaf springs and seat time I picked up 9/10's on my second outting.

What coil springs are you running? 620's? Do you like the Competition Engineering 90/10's? I'm debating wether to change my shocks and keep the 620's on or go ahead and change to the 6 cyl springs I bought and change shocks. I just put the Rancho's out back but haven't drove the car since....

Believe it or not I'm still using the 40+ yr old v8 springs that came w/ car. It actually works well cause the springs are soft from wear and w/ the CE 90/10's man the front end comes up quick on launches, It's not bottoming out the shock
or anything as it's not close to even pulling the tires off the ground, it is greatly improved over the kyb's i had in there.

clamped leaf springs and seat time I picked up 9/10's on my second outting.[/QUOTE]

Looked on your site for the Leaf Spring Clamps. Couple of questions.

# How many did you fit per side.
# What improvement did you get.
# How much did it lower the car. Lots of speed bumps around here ( Sorry three questions)

Really like the car.
Thanks Tony

I need some gears in my car (now have 2.80's) cause stalling up to 2500 and running 255 BFG DR's, my 60ft is in the 2.10 range. It'll still run 14.00's all day long though. Great bracket car.

Keep up the work and give us more info on your combo.:nice: