First Time Owner

Michael Gordon

Active User
Jan 1, 2017
Hey all, like the title says, first one. It's a 95 baseline V6. From what I can tell so far, I just need power steering work. I put in some Lucas, in hopes that I can slow the leak until Spring. It also chokes a little at low RPMs when cold. Does better as it warms up. Is this normal?

As far as looks go, I love the headlights in the day, but I can't see nothing at night. It appears to me, that they were sprayed with VHT on the inside. Hot spots right where the hole for the bulbs are on both sides, so I can't really clean it off. I'm thinking of some halos. Anything good at a reasonable price? Also, I want to put a spoiler on it. Thinking black. Which style do you guys think I should get?

01212_5Z3cFCyCz0b_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey all, like the title says, first one. It's a 95 baseline V6. From what I can tell so far, I just need power steering work. I put in some Lucas, in hopes that I can slow the leak until Spring. It also chokes a little at low RPMs when cold. Does better as it warms up. Is this normal?

As far as looks go, I love the headlights in the day, but I can't see nothing at night. It appears to me, that they were sprayed with VHT on the inside. Hot spots right where the hole for the bulbs are on both sides, so I can't really clean it off. I'm thinking of some halos. Anything good at a reasonable price? Also, I want to put a spoiler on it. Thinking black. Which style do you guys think I should get?
01212_5Z3cFCyCz0b_1200x900.jpg

First things first-Welcome to Stangnet :)
On to your cold running issue- is the Check Engine light on? Have you checked for stored codes?
Has the car been regularly maintained?
You would be amazed what a fresh set of plugs/wires and filters will do for an older car. As well as a good cleaning of sensors etc lol..

When it comes to aftermarket headlights and spoiler recommendations- that's a matter of preference-so I'd just recommend to find ones you like and then read the reviews..

I'm sure several more people will be along to offer advice and say hello- remember to keep adding pics and again,welcome to Stangnet

I'll move your thread over to the '79-'95 General Talk subforum, you'll get some different views for your mustang there.

Welcome to stangnet too, btw.

+1 to what chris said though, run your codes and see from there.

I (now this is just me) wouldn't put a spoiler on it at all. I like the clean look without it.

You have a lot of moisture on your car in that picture, how's the shine on it?

Get a quality repair manual on that ride, google motorbooks I think it is, there is also a sticky thread on the 50 tech page that gives info on pulling codes to get that 'cold choke'n thing resolved.
Like the post above, tune it up, you'd be suprised how much better it will run.
I know nothin bout halos, a set of clear lenses and quantity bulbs will give you plenty of light for those midnight taco bell runs, if you like the dark lenses get some covers to run in the daylight
And welcome aboard. Not to many nice 94-5's around, looks good from my house.

Nice suggestions guys. Actually, there is an SES light. You see, the air bags had been deployed. I can't say how, because the car is in great shape. I hear they can pop from bottoming out. I have a live OBD2 connector. I don't have a black pigtail with a cover and a grey connector next to it. I've looked, both sides. Problem is, my scangauge ii won't connect to it, even forcing PWM. Autozone's reader wouldn't connect to it.

Davedacarpainter said:
You have a lot of moisture on your car in that picture, how's the shine on it?
All things considered, 20 year old car won't be perfect, it shines very nicely. I'll wash it again, and post a blurry picture of it. It looked fantastic when I washed it on Christmas day.

You can look your VIN up here to see if the airbag deployment was due to a reported accident.

https://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_check.cfm?partner=PRL_M

Of course if they never reported it and fixed it themselves, it won't be on the list.

Bottoming out wouldn't set and airbag off necessarily. They work by inertia sensors sensing sudden stops. I'd be more suspicious the vehicle was involved in an accident with the airbags deployed like that

I would go through and as others have said give it a new set of plugs and wires. They aren't that expensive and make a big difference. Id wait to do it until you go through and replace the oxygen sensors. Do some research and figure out what side and exactly which one is bad and start with replacing that. Another thing that makes a big difference on these cars is to make sure that your MAF and IAC are clean. Both are pretty straight forward to do but if you need advice on how to do it let me know and i can get you setup with some pictures on how to do it. I know that mine bogged at low RPM when i first got it and i went through and changed the air filter, cleaned the MAF and IAC and pulled the upper intake manifold and throttle body off to clean them out also. The cleaning the upper intake was more of just something that i felt needed to be done. If you clean the MAF and IAC you should be good to go. If you need to get the car inspected anytime soon, although it is exempt from emissions testing even though they have obd2, its worth your time to pull the gauge cluster out and pop that bulb out for the check engine. I know a lot of places wont inspect it if the light is on. I wouldn't suggest leaving it out though and would try replacing that o2 sensor and see if that gets rid of the light.

Thanks again guys. I'm in Chicago, and it's very cold. I have nothing life threatening to the car right now, it's just running a bit rich. If I do need an inspection, it's not for another year. With all this in mind, I'll be waiting for spring to do most of this work. I'll have some more money to spend, and I don't mind spending a few hundred if need be. I bought the car for 1100, and those wheels are worth 800 alone. That gives me a great looking, 20 year old car, for 300 bucks. It was a steal. The engine itself, not the exhaust, sounds great. Here's the rundown of known problems.

1. Cluster gauge needs fixing. Odometer and tripometer don't roll, and a couple of lights are out.

2. There's an exhaust leak causing a ticking sound. Glad to hear that. Lol

3. Ebrake cables need replacing. Came with the car.

4. Drivers side axle seal needs replacing, also came with the car.

5. Possible O2 sensor. Actually, I'll fix the leak first, and see if that doesn't fix it.

6. Power steering leak.

7. Airbags deployed, and the warning beep is annoying. I researched it, to find I need to disconnect the box behind the radio. Either that, or go to the JY for airbags.

All of these things and the suggestions in this thread can wait for a warmer day to start.

Before you unplug the computer behind the stereo, there is a little plug under the passenger side dash that should be clipped up. You'll have to look up exactly how to do it but what you do is pull that down and short it out with a paperclip. You'll probably need to do this several times. A simple YouTube search will show you exactly how to do it. Just don't be afraid to do it many times. It doesn't take too long and it's definitely faster that pulling things apart to get to the air bag computer.

Christian, I like the principle of what you're saying here, but the youtube search is anything but simple. I've tried several different ways, and still haven't run into instructions for this. Help a guy out, please?

Christian, I like the principle of what you're saying here, but the youtube search is anything but simple. I've tried several different ways, and still haven't run into instructions for this. Help a guy out, please?
This is the video that i used.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQp74q7H2LM

1. Turn on your ignition. The code thing that he talked about blinking 52 doesnt matter it works for all codes
2. Pull down the clip under the passenger side of the dash.
3. With a paper clip short out the plug from the backside until you hear a set of beeps coming from the airbag computer
4. Turn the ignition off and back on and see if you have the light still on
5. If the light is still on repeat the process until the light goes off. I had to do it quite a few times on my car before the light finally went off but since doing it, it has yet to come on.

Let me know how you make out.

It's not just starting up the car. It continues on for all the hours I drive. It takes a break once in a while, then starts up again.

Five beeps, pause. Five beeps, pause. It does this while I'm driving for a while, then finally stops. Ten minutes later, five beeps, pause. Five beeps, pause. It just doesn't end.

I did research about it, and all I read pointed towards the airbag.

Usually a continuous beeping/blinking of the airbag light indicates one of the crash sensors is disconnected.

Does the airbag light come on when you turn the key to on? If it doesn't, it's possible the bulb burned out from blinking all the time.

That's probably
Usually a continuous beeping/blinking of the airbag light indicates one of the crash sensors is disconned.

That's probably it. As I've said, the airbags have been deployed, and left like that, just stuffed back in. There's no light. Ever. So will this jumper trick work? If it weren't so cold, I'd go out there right now, or I would have tried it by now.