First Time Storage Questions? Help

SSWWRITE

Apr 25, 2003
OHIO
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME PUTTING A CAR UP FOR THE WINTER. 2001 COBRAA - 9500 MILES ON IT - PUT 2800 ON IT THIS SUMMER. DID NOT GET A CHANCE TO CHANGE OIL BEFORE COLD HIT.

SHOULD I START IT ONCEIN AWHILE? IF SO HOW OFTEN? OR JUST WAIT?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

HURRY UP SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Eh, is there any way to change the oil? If so, I would strongly encourage it (although you can get by without doing so, if you can't get to it).
I would just prefer to have that old oil out of there, so that it has no chance of "gunking" up in the pan or filter, especially if you are due for an oil change.

As far as other storage suggestions go:
I would disconnect the battery, let it sit if you plan on a short winter (IE: if just 3-4 months?), top off the gas tank, add a few ounces of fuel stabilizer (Stabil) to the gas tank as well, place a box of baking soda in the interior to absorb moisture/odor, and not worry about too much else. If you were to store the car for a longer timeframe, I would then spray some fogging oil into each of the spark plug holes in addition to the above...that should cover the basics.

COBRA90GT said:
Eh, is there any way to change the oil? If so, I would strongly encourage it (although you can get by without doing so, if you can't get to it).
I would just prefer to have that old oil out of there, so that it has no chance of "gunking" up in the pan or filter, especially if you are due for an oil change.

As far as other storage suggestions go:
I would disconnect the battery, let it sit if you plan on a short winter (IE: if just 3-4 months?), top off the gas tank, add a few ounces of fuel stabilizer (Stabil) to the gas tank as well, place a box of baking soda in the interior to absorb moisture/odor, and not worry about too much else. If you were to store the car for a longer timeframe, I would then spray some fogging oil into each of the spark plug holes in addition to the above...that should cover the basics.
That's pretty much what I do. Change the oil, top off fuel tank and tire pressure, wash, wax, disconnect battery and cover.

Follow what these guys have said, BUT, do not start the car. If you start the car for a few minutes it does a lot more negative than positive....like, get moisture in the exhaust, you just did a non nessesary cold start, ect....

If you do start it, you will have to let it run for at least 20 minutes or so, so why bother. Just let her rest for the winter...go out and stare at it every once in awhile to feel better :D

99SVTAddict said:
Follow what these guys have said, BUT, do not start the car. If you start the car for a few minutes it does a lot more negative than positive....like, get moisture in the exhaust, you just did a non nessesary cold start, ect....

If you do start it, you will have to let it run for at least 20 minutes or so, so why bother. Just let her rest for the winter...go out and stare at it every once in awhile to feel better :D

What do you guys have against driving it when its cold out???

peace

It's not just the cold but the snow, ice and the salt on the roads throughout the winter. I took it out in the snow once just for $hits and giggles and will never do that again. It sat stuck 1 block down the road for a week. I've got a beater truck I drive to work all year round anyway so no problem here. Less mile on her too.

OF course you wouldnt drive it with snow and ice and sand! When I see the roads crystal clear though - hell yes I drive her. SHe runs way stronger on an icy cold day. Thats the main reason I dont take it off the road for the winter - for those clear cold days. You guys must live in a place where there's always snow/sand??

peace

Tat98Cobra said:
.. You guys must live in a place where there's always snow/sand??

peace...

Well, like the other guy said, our main gripe up here in the Northern states is the amount of salt that they use on the roads. On some of the warmer winter days, the roads are fine to drive on, except for the excess salt crystals that you can see glittering all over the road :rlaugh:

COBRA90GT said:
Well, like the other guy said, our main gripe up here in the Northern states is the amount of salt that they use on the roads. On some of the warmer winter days, the roads are fine to drive on, except for the excess salt crystals that you can see glittering all over the road :rlaugh:

Not to mention all the sand and rocks that get thrown up that does a number to the front end,paint,hood,windshield...etc....