Fitting 6.5" coaxial in the doors of an '06?

KAUS

Aug 14, 2005
USA
I was wondering how difficult it is to fit a set of 6.5" speakers in the doors of an '06 Mustang with the base stereo (no shaker).

I believe crutchfield says there are 6x8's stock up front, so it doesn't seem like a 6.5" speaker would be too much of a stretch. Has anyone done it? Is there much metal cutting involved? Would it be easier just to cut a hole in the bottom of the door panel where the 8" shaker speaker would've gone?

• Sponsors (?)

Here's what I did with the 6.5 JL componants I installed.
First remove the door panel, as you cannot remove the speaker until you remove the bolt from the backside of the door panel. Then you will have to either fabricate or purchase an adapter plate that fastens to the speaker, then the whole thing gets fastened to the door panel. I have the shaker 500 however. I'am not sure how the base system is configured. If you do not have the larger speaker at the bottom of the door, disregard the whole adapter plate thing. If the only speakers you have are high up by the door handle, after you take the door panel off there will be a plastic adapter that mounts to the door, then a 6X8 speaker can be mounted there or you can make a filler plate out of MDF, and mount your 6.5's to it then mount the filler to the plastic adapter. One last thing, make sure the speakers you get match the the stockers (ohm's wise) or they may sound crappy. I replaced my whole system with JL amp's and spreakers and pioneer D1 nav unit so I did'nt have to worry about the compatabilty issue.