Fitting A 1967 Shelby Outboard Grill

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
I was asked by one of the local shops to fit some new grills they will be making .This one is the 67 Shelby outboard light grill .
Using my convertible conversion ,i started by removing the nose section. I removed the two bolts in the front of both front fenders .The nose support is the first piece to go on .It bolts on top of the front fender bracket behind the headlights ,leave the bolts loose for later adjustment .
IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg

If the hood latch assembly is not in yet now is the time to bolt it in . The headlight mounting brackets are next . They bolt into the horn bolt hole in the radiator support ,one hole has to be drilled in the radiator support at the top of the bracket .I will not be using this grill in my convertible so i will not drill the hole .
The bottom of the headlight brackets bolt to the nose support ,there is a pre drilled hole in the support and it lined right up . Again ,leave the bolts loose for later adjusting .
IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg

Now i am ready for the nose section .Starting at the pass.side i put all the studs into the holes in the front fenders and tightened the pass side down ,starting at the top bolt working my way down, the studs are in the driver side just to help hold it up .I am having trouble loading pics so i have to post this and start
again :nonono:
IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0124.jpg

The pass. side bolted down ,i moved to the driver side and and bolted it down . I still need to slot the top hole on each fender to get the nose section to slide to the point on the fender ,about 1/32 of an inch But it looks great as it is . The nose section is all bolted down ,all the bolts are still loose in the nose bracket and headlight mounts so i can adjust everything and get the lights to line up in the grill holes .
IMG_0122.jpg

Tomorrow i will mount the two grills ,upper and lower, and fit the headlights .
Here is what i have so far ,Kind of Evil looking with out the grill and lights .
IMG_0126.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

First of all ,sorry about the pics .My camera is PIECE O JUNK.
Guess we will start with the lower grill .It slips in through the front opening and screws to the back of the nose brace ,the holes are pre drilled and they lined up:eek: I would also use sheet metal screws and attach the bottom of the lower grill to the hood latch assembly.
IMG_0143.jpg

I set the grill in place and slipped the lights in . I positioned the lights and clamped them down making sure the ribs in the light bulbs were straight with the bars in the grill and the lights were centered in the openings of the grill. Then i tightened the bolts for the headlight mounts and the nose support .
IMG_0147.jpg

Moved over to the driver side and did the same . Forgot to mention i tightened the two bolts at the top of the grill so it would stay centered
IMG_0162.jpg

I used my battery pack drill and some self drilling screws and mounted the lights . There is just enough room to slip the nut driver on my drill between the light and the grill opening to screw the lights down.
IMG_0146.jpg

The light mounts were pre drilled ,but the holes would not line up .I didn't think they would because there is to much variance in this area for an exact fit so i will tell them not to drill the holes ,it is easier to drill them while mounting the lights and there will not be an extra set of holes .
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0157.jpg

The grill is done ,the fit is very nice and only took about three hours all together .
I like the center light grill but this one doesn't look bad either .I would give them a very good ratting and plan on using them in both of my cars .
_MG_4864.JPG
_MG_4865.JPG
_MG_4867.JPG
IMG_0153.jpg