Fix Rattling Window

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
My window was always rattling when I slammed the door with the window down. This is caused by the alignment of the glass. I fixed it tonight and took some pics.

Here is the inner window seal, I cleaned it well and the coated it with 303 Aerospace Protectant and also vacuumed the felt that rides against the inside of the glass. The door panel is there also be sure and check all the stuff on it for loose pieces which could cause a rattle. Just use silicone adhesive or whatever to adhere any rattle-prone pieces on the inside of the door panel.

View attachment 377243

The bolt at the top of the door in this pic loosens a felt covered metal dog which rides against the inside of the glass. I loosend the lock-bolt and then held the dog snugly against the inside of the lowered window glass and then re-tightened the lock-bolt.

View attachment 377244

You can see the bolt and the dog in this pic also:

View attachment 377245

Blue painter's tape is good stuff :)

View attachment 377246

Once you snug up the front and rear window glass dogs reinstall the door panel. Be patient and just take it off try again if you do not get it...

View attachment 377247

There are two screws that secure the door panel, when removing them be careful. Use care lining the up on reinstall do not overtighten or you will crack plastic.

View attachment 377248

Reinstall the switches in the door cup.
View attachment 377249

The door cup hooks on the rear part and the the front snaps in:

View attachment 377250

There is a trim fastener on the front of the door panel:

View attachment 377251

The door handle cup hooks in on the rear and then the front snaps in:

View attachment 377252

View attachment 377253

Tweeter cover just pulls off and snaps on:

View attachment 377254

View attachment 377255

Just used simple tools:

View attachment 377256

Now when I slam the door it sounds perfect! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Well done.

Another thing to check for while in there is if the rubber stopper at the bottom of the glass seated properly. This is known to cause a "clunk" or "thunk" at the full-down window position. If they (consider both doors) are seated and firmly in place, you're good to go. Look for the rubber stopper in about the middle of the door while the interior skin is removed.