Fixed Blown Head Gasket - Still Leaks

Gibatheviking

Aug 15, 2013
I have rebuilt the top end of my moter after a blown head gasket. however, I still get water coming out of the tailpipe for my 5678 cylinders. I have pressure tested my cooling systems no leaks at all and have done compression checks and all cylinder are showing 150PSI. I am on a 2nd set of head gaskets and yet I still get water leaks coming from somewhere. I know the coolant ports aren't leaking because placed the gasket and sealant correctly even cutting off the heads of intake bolts to make sure the gasket sealed properly. I am have been looking over forums and had thought that maybe it is condensation building up in the engine and maybe tank? I don't have any cracks in the head or engine and even if I did I would think I would show a coolant leak or the compression check would come out low? Anybody have any suggestions? Thinking its condensation I have thought about just changing the oil and starting it up again to temp to see if it resolves.

• Sponsors (?)

Fwiw the Florida humidity probably collects at least a cup of water in each pipe and if don't run the car every few days it blows out an unholy stream of water at start up. Once the car warms up there's no smoke or any other signs of vapor.

I went through a similar problem when I built my engine. Mine was a leaking intake gasket that I redid several times, needlessly. Let your car warm up, then take it for a good drive. You need to blow all that water from the original gasket leak, and the condensation, out of the exhaust. You will still experience condensation from time to time, but you are probably just being paranoid. How does the oil look?

Joe

Just drained the oil last night, it was brown. However, I had thought that some residual coolant might have not completely drained before re seating my lower intake (correctly) after the last leak. Prior to draining the oil I checked the dipstick and the oil was significantly clearer than it was in the past though. I don't see how coolant would leak in to the pan if my coolant pressure test checks out. In fact, last night I left 16PSI on the pressure tester for about 4 hours and it stayed in the 15 - 16 range (this was of course with the engine off).

Unless directed otherwise I think I will replace the oil and run it for about 15 min and take a short drive and check it out.

I surprised that this has not been pointed out before now:

Water from the tail-pipe does not indicate that you are leaking coolant into the motor. Smelling like anti-freeze would though.

Most cars (particularly those with emissions cams) will have water coming from the tail pipe as it warms up.

Humid air goes into the motor, is DRASTICALLY heated, then exits a relatively cold exhaust system while cooling the entire way out. Whatever water you into the motor has to come out. It is not consumed in the combustion process.

Look at surrounding cars when this occurs. Chances are they they've got water coming from the exhaust as well.