Progress Thread Fixing Up A '93 Gt - Project Done

Try redline MT oil. It is pricy but I run it in everything. It really smooths out a worn tranny. Kind of a band aid but it will get you by until you can plan to rebuild/replace.

• Sponsors (?)

Trans shifts nice, just spits fluid out the back. I have a bunch of the redline MTL since I use it in my race car. But I have read a bunch of different opinions about using it on WC vs. non-WC T5s. For now, I'll just use some cheap ATF since it's likely to leak back out anyway.

Wouldn't call it slopping around. But, it's not tight enough that I think it's awesome. There was also a little bit of scoring on the drive shaft yoke. Looks like the bushing had a little chunk missing in the back also. I'm guessing the transmission will have to come out at some point, but I'm hoping not.

I don't think there is enough space for me to get tools in there to get the reverse switch out and the neutral safety switch in the correct position. I plan to get a new reverse switch and put it in to get the reverse lights working. If I take the trans out, I'll put the neutral switch in. I may make a temporary harness to make that reverse switch up top into a neutral safety switch.

Over the last couple weeks I've done a little work. I put the SVT upgraded alternator in and that fixed the idle issues with the fan/lights etc. I wanted to upgrade the engine ground, but couldn't get enough torque on the bolt behind the head to get it off. I plan to hook up a 2nd ground, I'm thinking from where the smog pump used to be to a hole below the air filter somewhere. But, for now I can live with the way it is working. I should get the parts I need to automate the electric fan today. Got the thermostat housing with a temp sensor fitting and a ron francis temp sensor controlled fan relay.

I put a reverse switch where it should be and now I have reverse lights. Actually, after replacing half a dozen bulbs or so, every light on the car works. Woohoo.

I replaced the rear seal on the trans. Now there is a sound when I move the car slowly. A squealing sound that happens when the wheels turn. Sounds like a dragging brake, but I don't think it is. Only happens after the car warms up and makes noise at slow speed before stopping and when I start moving. If I let it glide at 3-4 MPH it sounds pretty bad. I suspect it's the driveshaft spinning in the trans. I plan to take the driveshaft back off and see if I galled something. But, may just be that the tailshaft bushing is worn. It sounds like it's possible to just take the tail shaft off while the trans stays in the car. Is there a significant difference in effort doing that over pulling the entire trans out?

Finally got around to taking care of the squealing sound. This weekend I replaced the tailshaft bushing. I bought the removal/install tool and it was pretty easy. Here's the thread on the tool I got: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...hing-on-your-t5-heres-the-tool-to-get.760200/

I got a new bushing and seal. I had gnashed the old bushing with ham-fisted use of the seal removal hook tool and it also scored the drive shaft yoke (not yolk). Instead of just getting a new yoke, might as well get some aluminum attached to it (my credit card disagrees, but the deed is done).

IMG_20160313_195321178_zpsbvgullhc.jpg

Forgot to pick up trans fluid, so hopefully I'll get it back on the ground tonight or tomorrow night and see if I fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Finally got around to taking care of the squealing sound. This weekend I replaced the tailshaft bushing. I bought the removal/install tool and it was pretty easy. Here's the thread on the tool I got: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...hing-on-your-t5-heres-the-tool-to-get.760200/

I got a new bushing and seal. I had gnashed the old bushing with ham-fisted use of the seal removal hook tool and it also scored the drive shaft yoke (not yolk). Instead of just getting a new yoke, might as well get some aluminum attached to it (my credit card disagrees, but the deed is done).

IMG_20160313_195321178_zpsbvgullhc.jpg

Forgot to pick up trans fluid, so hopefully I'll get it back on the ground tonight or tomorrow night and see if I fixed the problem.

Jesus Murphy, that old driveshaft looks like it was King King's anal thermometer.

Looks like you have a good handle on the little projects it's tossing at ya. It's always fun chasing down the PO's fixes. I've had my fair share. I actually rebuilt my t5 in the notch about 5 years ago and it still runs like a champ. Fairly easy to do (I bought the video lol.) Just make sure you get a good kit. Don't cheap out on one. Glad to see this thing coming together. Have fun.

Car has a Pro 5.0 shifter in it. Overall, the shifter was too short for me. I am pretty tall and sit with the seat almost all the way back. I had to lean forward to reach the handle. Also, the PO tore off all the nubs to mount the boot and had it double stick taped on. It was on pretty good, but you could see the tape. So, couldn't resist this

IMG_20160316_182754238_zpssstssbrz.jpg

Reactions: 4 users