Flaming river manual rack Help!

This is a flaming river manual rack that I am putting on my fox body. I need some help with this. I did not assemble all of it before I put it on now I have run into a problem getting the top bendy piece on that connects by the steering wheel close by the firewall. The long rod is in the way because I am trying to get that small piece on that connects to the steering wheel (it is the top piece that can bend). If I take the long rod off, put the piece on at the top that can bend, will I have enough room to then connect the long rod to it and to the other end or will I have to completely remove the rack, assemble it all together, and then stick it on. Let me know if you don't understand some of the words I am using. I will explain them more to you. I just really need to know before I go take it apart again. I hope I am not the only person that has done this before. lol. thank you

• Sponsors (?)

install the shaft and joints into the column first (put bolt through) then tap the rack towards front of car 'til you are able to slide the shaft onto the splines of the rack (so rack moves off bolts on rack, not completely off, but enough to get shaft on). make sure you have a buddy keep the steering wheel straight, and make sure the rack is in the middle. once its on, remove the assembly, drill dimples, loctite, and re install.

i didn't do this last step, i just tightened studs and nuts as tight as i could, and after a few thousand miles it seems fine.

I am still having problems with everything being too long. Is it wrong to put the rack in first? I put the rack in first and now I cant get the shaft and bar that goes to the steering to fit in. I don't know what I am not doing right but I just don't have enough space. That top piece that goes into the steering has to slide down, it can't stay all the way up because the hole is toward the bottom of it