Flaming river rack and pinion for headered Mustangs

• Sponsors (?)

63_Fairlane said:
A couple fo questions for Randal:

1. Is all of the force riding on the center bolts or does the mounting block have some guide material for the link?

2. Are all of the include fasteners grade 8?

Thanks for the replies.
Even if the mounting block has lips machined in to spread the load to the actual rack it is of rather small area and the long length of the overhanging centerlink ends + the tie rods themselves are going to try to produce some rotational movement at the block. If there is no deflection there I would be very surprised, and if there is some I still would not be comfortable relying on 2 grade 8 bolts for my life and anyone else on the road near me.

65 fastback said:
That's what I mean. The stock turning radius isn't great and the TCP Rack & Pinion turning radius is WORSE.

Do you have any way to quantify the increase in turning radius? I've been told by Speed Direct the turning radius on the soon to be released Steeroids rack http://www.speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=75 appears to be no worse than stock. In other words, if there is any increase it isn't noticeable.

Steve C.

70XR7ConvertCat said:
Do you have any way to quantify the increase in turning radius? I've been told by Speed Direct the turning radius on the soon to be released Steeroids rack http://www.speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=75 appears to be no worse than stock. In other words, if there is any increase it isn't noticeable.

Steve C.
I think they are using a J-Car R&P which means that there is no way they are going to be able to maintain the stock steering radius. I did quite a bit of R&D with this rack about 7 years ago and I can tell you that it simply does not have the travel. SpeedDirect's R&P is also not going to clear any type of tubular headers so I guess their engineers are as stupid as FR's since it seems they missed the largest part of their target market.

Ronstang said:
I think they are using a J-Car R&P which means that there is no way they are going to be able to maintain the stock steering radius. I did quite a bit of R&D with this rack about 7 years ago and I can tell you that it simply does not have the travel. SpeedDirect's R&P is also not going to clear any type of tubular headers so I guess their engineers are as stupid as FR's since it seems they missed the largest part of their target market.

Did you hear that from someone at SpeedDirect?

vrooom said:
Did you hear that from someone at SpeedDirect?
Hear what? It looks like a J-Car rack, I have heard from others it IS a J-Car rack, and I can tell by looking at the pictures that the orientation of the mount and rack are right where every header I have ever installed needs to be.....plus I have heard it does not clear headers. I do not remember where I heard any of this info because I knew looking at the pics the first time I saw this setup a month or so ago that it was not going to work to my standards so I never followed up on what I heard.

Ronstang said:
...It looks like a J-Car rack, I have heard from others it IS a J-Car rack, and I can tell by looking at the pictures that the orientation of the mount and rack are right where every header I have ever installed needs to be...

Randalls Rack uses a J-rack, but I don't know about Speed Direct. Rack travel isn't the only factor determining turning radius. For example, if the tierods are moved inboard at the spindle (shorter lever arm), some loss in rack travel can be compensated for. The information I posted about turning radius came directly from Speed Direct, BTW.

Steve C.

Good questions. The system has been designed to prevent twisting forces on the bolts. The center block takes all the twisting force and the bolts apply clamping torque.:) Bolts are not intended to apply torque AND resist twisting forces at the same time. This was one of the riddles that had to be fixed to make this design work.
Randall

Bolts

Good questions. The system has been designed to prevent twisting forces on the bolts. The center block takes all the twisting force and the bolts apply clamping torque. Bolts are not intended to apply torque AND resist twisting forces at the same time. This was one of the riddles that had to be addressed to make this design work and it was not the only riddle either.

www.randallsrack.com