Flashing Airbag Light

• Sponsors (?)

I did the following to my Xterra, worked for it. Caveat...this is for an Xterra, don't know if it will work on a Mustang, but just offering it to you to try it out, takes 30 seconds and its free. I'm sure Nissan and Ford software engineers are two different animals but hey... Maybe it'll work out. Good luck!

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

I did the following to my Xterra, worked for it. Caveat...this is for an Xterra, don't know if it will work on a Mustang, but just offering it to you to try it out, takes 30 seconds and its free. I'm sure Nissan and Ford software engineers are two different animals but hey... Maybe it'll work out. Good luck!

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

Good to know, but I haven't heard of that working on our year Mustangs. The airbag light on our cars flashes the codes as explained in the airbag link provided. You don't have to jumper anything to get the codes to show up.

If you get a code stating "high resistance" on a connector, find the airbag connectors as described in the code and spray them good with electrical contact cleaner. Aluminum contacts (like we have in our cars) build up oxidation over time. When you unplug and reconnect a connector, the contact points shift. You may have too much oxidation to get reliable voltage through to and from the airbag, and that throws the code.

I had this pop up when I did some work under the dash, and I unplugged the airbag connector. Hooked it back up and it threw an airbag code. Unhooked the connector again, sprayed contact cleaner on both ends, hooked it up and cleared the code.

Not that I remember. You have to jumper the two pins in the airbag diagnostic port to clear the codes. However, they won't clear if the problem is still present. Where did you read you had to jumper to ground?

EDIT: Re-read the code clearing instructions on the airbag page. It says to jumper the two pins together or to a known ground. No need to find a ground, jumpering the two pins in the diagnostic connector with a paper clip works just fine.