Flex-A-Lite Electra fan or black magic fan, whats' better?

I forget who, but somebody on the corral has either the mark viii or the ramchargers fan with a 12rib blower setup. Arent the Spals a really thin profile fan? Anyways yeah, all the fans listed above are puller fans

• Sponsors (?)

Timmy, i think you are right about the Spals. i know Michael Yount runs one in his 242, and i imagine that those are hurting for room with a 5.0 in 'em. he would be the one to ask about profile that i know of. excellent fans from what i gather.

I am doing this upgrade too by spring. I am going to use a thermostatic switch mounted where the temperature guage sensor normally sits - right by the thermostat housing. I have a free sample comming and I am asking for pricing of the unit - if there is a good price break for quantity, maybe we can do a group purchase. The switch is rated at 2500 psi and has internal gold contacts rated for 4 amps DC continuous. It is a 3/8" NPT so it goes right in the stock hole. I got mine set for 195° to cycle on. I have attached a pic of the unit. Should have it in-hand and pricing within 2 weeks (goin on a cruise with the wife :D ).

I wouldn't ]go with the flex-a-lite. The highest flow is from the mark viii (5000 cfm) but it draws 33A @ 12V and 105A @ startup. The mark viii fan runs the motor at max efficiency verses max horsepower. so it's great for high backpressure apps. but it was designed to run variable speed, not with relays www.dccontrol.com The taurus draws 30 A on high with 90 A peak (3800 cfm). The two speed setup allows the mmf to occur before high speed is used. either use two controllers or, again, variable speed. Derale www.derale.com also makes some high efficiency fans. Spals are great on both cfm and quality, but poor regarding backpressure.

I have the Taurus style. The way I want to run it is to have a normally closed/ normally open (2 contact) relay that will use low speed when the ignition is on and switch to high when that thermostatic switch above changes the realy position for high.

tmoss said:
I have the Taurus style. The way I want to run it is to have a normally closed/ normally open (2 contact) relay that will use low speed when the ignition is on and switch to high when that thermostatic switch above changes the realy position for high.

If one position is low, and the other is high, what position is off? Are you going to try and run 30A current off the ignition circuit or use a separate relay to connect to the battery?

Hey baskin, your fan cfm's are off. I think that KIM over on the corral tested a bunch of electric fans a while back. The mark viii pulled a bit over 4000 cfms at 14.4v. i forget the rest of teh fans, but i know thats what teh mark viii was

TIMMY2734 said:
Hey baskin, your fan cfm's are off. I think that KIM over on the corral tested a bunch of electric fans a while back. The mark viii pulled a bit over 4000 cfms at 14.4v. i forget the rest of teh fans, but i know thats what teh mark viii was

It depends on the year. The early units had a higher blade pitch and ran the motor near peak horsepower (mmf=.5)and output 5000 or close to it. The later ones had a shallower pitch, ran more towards max efficiency (mmf=.67) and flowed 4400. The units Houston performance sells are the high pitch blade units

rx7speed said:
ok guys just a few questions for you

what alt does the mark VIII come with?

also do you think either one of these fans could be swapped into my rx7?
and how about much would they go for?

I think the mark viii comes with a 105. But if you set it up correctly, the mark viii will use less current than most other fans. (It'll flow 3000 cfm at 10A)

you can get the vii at houston performance for 150, I've found the taurus for 145 What are your radiator h/w measurements and how much depth do you have?

baskin said:
If one position is low, and the other is high, what position is off? Are you going to try and run 30A current off the ignition circuit or use a separate relay to connect to the battery?

Power for both will come through a relay. With the key on, the fan will run in low and switch to high with the thermostat. Off will be with the ignition key.

tmoss said:
Power for both will come through a relay. With the key on, the fan will run in low and switch to high with the thermostat. Off will be with the ignition key.

Relays aren't available in on-off-on a spdt is either on the first circuit or on the second circuit, there is no off. So if you connect this to the battery, again, there is no off. You either have to run a second relay to switch the battery power in or run it straight off the ignition. I don't think I'd run 30A through the ignition circuit.

rx7speed said:
I can find out if you give me some time
cause I might be interested in this swap
only thing I'm worried about is I have a whopping 60a charging system :-(

I've got a taurus fan on my '68 shelby with the stock 60A, the car's nearly a daily driver. I've never killed the battery because the fan rarely runs over 5A. Read the tech page on the site www.dccontrol.com with regard to fan efficiency verses voltage input.

BTW the taurus fan is 20,5" x 17" x 3.5 deep at the center.

baskin said:
Relays aren't available in on-off-on a spdt is either on the first circuit or on the second circuit, there is no off. So if you connect this to the battery, again, there is no off. You either have to run a second relay to switch the battery power in or run it straight off the ignition. I don't think I'd run 30A through the ignition circuit.

Automotive relays are not the only ones rated for the power that a fan takes. I've got a SPDT relay that will work - but I am gonna see if I can find one from Seimens, Bosch or some other supplier.

The ramchargers is a manual fan, meaning that it is controlled solely by that of the driver. All you get in the kit is the wiring, the 2 relays and a toggle switch. NO temp sensors or anything liek that