Flex- a- Lite Electric Fan

my89stangGT

May 23, 2003
Oklahoma
I was want to free up some HP, so I was thinking of get a Electric fan from Summit for $209.95 that bolts right up to the 5.0. Is that enough to cool a 3 core rad or should I get a Mark VIII Electric fan. If I get a Electric fan is it worth the money, can you feel a little more HP or is it a waste of money. Summit said it would free up 17 HP

• Sponsors (?)

Black Magic fan

I have one and it works well. If you daily drive your car year round it may get maxed out if you have hot summers like we do in LA. I like the Flex-A-lite set up because it has the stat and controls built in and it's like 2 hours or less to install if you're retarded.

The lincoln set up will move more air but is not nearly as clean once installed. The lincoln set up will definatley necessitate a bigger alternator and doesn't install nearly as fast. It does work better.

I have the Flex a Lite and a stock radiator and it cools good enough during the summer and it has no problem keeping up in the colder months here in Arkansas. I had mine with the stock alternator and it seemed to work fine. Now I have the 3g upgrade and works even better.

Your stock alternator will not be enough.
And I'm not going to be one of those who bash the "Black Magic Fan" (there are many) but the fact is that I had one and I sold it on ebay for 50 bucks and I was stoked. Now I have the Ramchargers fan www.ramchargers.com
And it works MUCH better. It is a dual fan with two speeds and it keeps my car cooler on the low speed then the Flex A Lite did. If your raiator is the 31"X19" it fits with just minor mods to the fan. and it comes with a great wiring harness and lighted 3 way switch, all for $140.00!
As you can tell, I like this fan.

I was thinking about this, especially because my stock fan's clutch just broke, but my mechanic said that putting a bigger alternator in to power an electric fan would put just as much resistance and rotational weight as the stick fan, and it costs alot of money to do. He also said that the stocker cools just as well as an electric anyway. I have heard both sides, but I trust him so I am sticking with stock.

I was thinking about this, especially because my stock fan's clutch just broke, but my mechanic said that putting a bigger alternator in to power an electric fan would put just as much resistance and rotational weight as the stock fan, and it costs alot of money to do. He also said that the stocker cools just as well as an electric anyway. I have heard both sides, but I trust him so I am sticking with stock.

OOPs sorry, double posted. Me and my itchy trigger finger...

slowjoe said:
sorry dude my stock alternator works... I have had no problem with it. lIke i said pro's and cons from everyone.

Yeah, I can't explain that. I mean the stock alt is only 65 amps!
Mine "worked" but I was barely chargeing and killing batteries.
But that's good that yours is working for you.

astronut1885 said:
I was thinking about this, especially because my stock fan's clutch just broke, but my mechanic said that putting a bigger alternator in to power an electric fan would put just as much resistance and rotational weight as the stock fan, and it costs alot of money to do. He also said that the stocker cools just as well as an electric anyway. I have heard both sides, but I trust him so I am sticking with stock.

OOPs sorry, double posted. Me and my itchy trigger finger...

Well, your mechanic is on crack.
There is no way that a 130 or 140amp alt over the stock one, is going to be as much resistance as a pulley driven fan!
The difference in resistance between the stock alt. and an upgraded aftermarket one is so slight it is basicly unmeasurable, and then once you remove the belt driven fan........
and the stock set up will not cool as well as the Ramchargers fan I have.
I am only speaking from experiance.
when you start producing more H.P. you need better cooling.
Tell him to pass the pipe, he needs to come down.

Hey Klunky thanks for that thread, I think my next mod is going to be a electric fan. When you read the parts review on this site it kinda makes you think twice about it a electric fan, but after reading all the post more people have electric fan and don't have any problems at all. thanks

L8 MUSL said:
Well, your mechanic is on crack.
There is no way that a 130 or 140amp alt over the stock one, is going to be as much resistance as a pulley driven fan!
The difference in resistance between the stock alt. and an upgraded aftermarket one is so slight it is basicly unmeasurable, and then once you remove the belt driven fan........
and the stock set up will not cool as well as the Ramchargers fan I have.
I am only speaking from experiance.
when you start producing more H.P. you need better cooling.
Tell him to pass the pipe, he needs to come down.
I agree 100%. It's absurd when people talk about how much extra power it takes the engine to spin a larger alternator. An alternator is not a pump! When I switched from a 63amp to a 140amp alternator on my truck, I had to opportunity to set one next to the other and use my hand to spin both. The high amp one took just as much effort to spin by hand as the stocker. And if anyone doubts it, look at the dyno link I posted and check out the November issue of Car Craft, page 42. Dude gained 22 horsepower to the tires by swapping the engine fan for an electric. The FIRST thing I do after my heads and cam will be this mod.

I have the flex-a-lite, it works just fine on hot days. But a warning. Do go to a bigger alternator if you commute or do a lot of night driving. I killed two batteries with the stock 65 amp. Went to a 140amp powermaster, no more problems. The alternator is designed to keep a charge on a "fully charged" battery. It is not designed to charge a depleted battery, which it will be after running all day with the lights, windshield wipers, heater, stereo, etc.

Depends on your cars options.

I have rear defog, pwr windows, electric fan.

No a/c, no radiao.

I run the 75 amp stock 2g right now.

Mark or mustang fan is great, BUT U do have to run a 130 amp alt.

MAKE SURE YOU UPGRADE THE 10 Ga WIRE to 4 ga wire !!!