Flood car/convertible help

White03Mach

Founding Member
Apr 23, 2002
Hey guys....got my convertible back.. had water over the top from katrina... wanna see what all works after I get it all cleaned so can any of u guys that messed with flood cars make me up a little checklist? Im going to blow the water outta all the electrical connections and pretty much gut the car and clean it before I hook up a battery to it.... The convertible hydraulics should be sealed correct? its pretty damn nasty right now so im going thru it completely and converting to carb. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks bros!

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Your pretty much going to need everything apart (HVAC ducting, Engine, rear end, etc.) so you can be absolutly sure there is no water in there.

It's a good idea to start with the electrical connections. Making sure they are dry and corrosion free. If there was water inside the cockpit, you'll probably have to replace all of the fuses also.

You might want to bleed in new convertible fluid just to be on the safe side also...

Yikes! That is a big project!

I have worked several flood cars. i dont know if they have them on stangs, but check under the carpet, and pull the drain plugs. take your carpet out, and power wash it and let it sit in the sun.. make sure you do both sides, or you will have that mildew smell for a while. check everything behind the console, check where the ECU sits, take the seats out and powerwash the same as you did the carpet. you might want to take the seat covers off, and let the seat cusions dry out as well. i would let the car sit with the doors open, and a box of baking soda inside to help dry it out. check the bolts that hold your seatbelts in (i have seen them rusted pretty bad from flooding) etc etc etc

FarBeyondDriven said:
box of baking soda inside to help dry it out

Baking soda will also absorb the odor... Good tip.

If you are converting to carb, your car would be a good canidate for all new Gauges (Like the panel that Florida 5.0 (?) sells to replace the stock gagues)

Good stuff good stuff... thanks guys..... Id rather use a stock cluster... what does Florida 5.0 sell? Anyone know where i can get a cluster for a good price?? Thanks again!!!

eBay for a stocker... There are typically 1 or 2 on there at any given time.

The Florida 5.0 (I think that is their name) panel acually repalces the stock piece with a setup of Autometer gauges. It looks really neat.

MustangDave11 said:
Good stuff good stuff... thanks guys..... Id rather use a stock cluster... what does Florida 5.0 sell? Anyone know where i can get a cluster for a good price?? Thanks again!!!

heres my florida50 clluster

133-3352_IMG.JPG

91gt4.jpg

I'd also grab a can of WD40 for the electrical connections. It'll displace any water inside of them. Drain your gas tank, too. It's probably full of water, so have a friend on hand when you lower it.