Floor Under DS Front Seat Cracked

bighoss88lx

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
I have been noticing that my front DS seat has been leaning worse in toward the door, and while I was installing my driveshaft loop I saw the floor has buckled and cracked where there was some rust at. I was wondering what would be the best way to repair this? I know they make the SSP floor supports for the front seat. I wonder if I should make something like that and weld it in or just cut out that section from a donor car and weld it in. Also I will be installing sub-frame connectors with the seat support. Will that possibly fix the problem? Any ideas or personal experiences wanted. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Calypso Pony said:
Have you checked out www.5Oresto.com

They sell floor pan replacements made to OE specs. for about $114.00 or so.
My 93 LX got treated to new floors last summer.

Yeah, I dont want to replace the whole floor pan though, just the small area that is damaged. Im trying to find a place that sells the SSP Mustang seat brace. Couldn't find them at 50resto.com though.

Phantom959 said:
Mine did the same. I had a body shop weld where it was cracked up & installed subframe connectors with seat braces.

I would just go that route. I would choose the MM subframes with the seat braces. I need to get some soon and see how bad my unibody is cracking.

To keep cracks from spreading until they can be welded, drill a 1/8" hole at each end of the crack. This works great in airplanes, so it should work just as well in cars.

bighoss88lx said:
I have been noticing that my front DS seat has been leaning worse in toward the door, and while I was installing my driveshaft loop I saw the floor has buckled and cracked where there was some rust at. I was wondering what would be the best way to repair this? I know they make the SSP floor supports for the front seat. I wonder if I should make something like that and weld it in or just cut out that section from a donor car and weld it in. Also I will be installing sub-frame connectors with the seat support. Will that possibly fix the problem? Any ideas or personal experiences wanted. Thanks

They all do this. Both of mine have it, and both bodies of my donor cars had it.

There use to be a "Police" floor reinforcement piece for $20 each that you could install in that area. My 79 just has subframes and some metal welded over the crack. In the 82 I welded a short angle across the drivers subframe that fits directly below the seat bolts. Both have been ok for several years now.

Best fix would be to have the crack welded and install the subframes that have the cross brace.

89lxsport50 said:
The front bolt closest to the door ripped a chunk of my floor out when it went. I have it rigged in there for now. I will get it fixed when I get it painted.

Heh, thats what mine did too, rear driver side seat let thing broke, and the front driverside seat leg just ripped a big hole in the floor. I'm gonna get mine welded up when i get a new seat. Anybody know about how much a body shop charges for a small weld up like that?
sorry not meaning to jack your thread...
-Grand

Grandmaster said:
Heh, thats what mine did too, rear driver side seat let thing broke, and the front driverside seat leg just ripped a big hole in the floor. I'm gonna get mine welded up when i get a new seat. Anybody know about how much a body shop charges for a small weld up like that?
sorry not meaning to jack your thread...
-Grand

Your still on topic so that isnt thread jacking. Anyways welders usually charge by the hour, or you could bring it to SA and I charge by the 12 pack.

I had the same crack in my 90, with no rust. I went to a local body shop and they told me because it was an important part of the chassis in a wreck it was going to cost $450 to rebuild the area, they would not just reweld it for liability reasons. I told the they were full of it and contiunued till I found a friend of a friend. A good solid weld exchange for a case of beer and some Trash talk of the ricers and voila no more problems. That has been a couple of years ago so hopefully i will have no more problems.

My 91 didn't have any probs with the rear seat mounts but I did tear the DS front outside mount out of the floor once. That was a pain to try to fix.

I have MM full length SFC with seat braces that I have to put in my 93. The other thing that my 91 did was I broke the seat tracks just in front of the rear mount. Maybe it was a sign to loose weight. :shrug: Nahhhhhhhh