FloPro's Single Turbo GTS (PICS!!!!!!!)

I found out that the drivers side blew, which is the easy side to dao (2 hr. job). Therefore, I may just put a new one in and call it a day. Otherwise, I'll want to buy forged pistons, main bearing, k-member, motor mounts etc.. and I have NO money for that for a long time.

I pretty sure that since my car shut off right after it happened and I didn't hear any loud or wierd noise, it SHOULD just be the gasket.

• Sponsors (?)

I am using PMAS Pro Tube.

About the chip. Ihave no clue what exactly the tune is. I just told my tuner what he needed to know and told him to make it safe. I thought it would be a decent BASE tune. It's probably not really his fault. I'm moving on now though and am over it. Now I just want to fix it.

Would you guys just replace the gasket or pull the whole thing??

I think I am going to check the compression on the pass. side and then change it along with the drivers side if needed.

rio95 said:
About the chip. Ihave no clue what exactly the tune is. I just told my tuner what he needed to know and told him to make it safe. I thought it would be a decent BASE tune. It's probably not really his fault. I'm moving on now though and am over it. Now I just want to fix it.
i understand completely ... i was just thinking that if it is the tune, then you will probably blow another hg pretty quickly, which would suck.

I have everything apart now. It doesn't look like anything is wrong with the bottom end (hopefully), but I had coolant in EVERY cylinder whe I took my heads off. The worst part is I had about 20 oz. of coolant in my crossover pipe. Think about what the crossover goes right into. Thats right, the turbo. I have never heard of this happening. I hope the turbo is ok. The turbo and wastegate and my downpipe have a sticky black reside all over. I may be sending my turbo to turbonetics to check it all out, for piece of mind. What do you guys think? If I just clean as good as I can with a q-tip and carb cleaner, should I be alright? It seems to rotate pretty good and none of the fins appear to be damaged or anything. It's just dirty. Should I take the exhaust housing off to clean? If so, when I put it back on, do I just eye ball the alignment between the turbine to ensure it doesn't hit?

Drivers side:
View attachment 488644
View attachment 488646
DSC01888S.jpg

Pass. side:
View attachment 488650
DSC01891S.jpg

DSC01889S.jpg

And my BRAND NEW turbo :'(
View attachment 488655

By the way, none of the rings were blown through, but the composite material was off of the metal mesh core in tons of spots. I just don't understand how I filled every cylinder. I think I'll get the block and heads checked to make sure the are flat, throw everything back together and hope for the best.

By the way, the gaskets were 9333pt-1's and I am putting the same back in.

Attachments

• DSC01888S.jpg
    DSC01888S.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01891S.jpg
    DSC01891S.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01889S.jpg
    DSC01889S.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 67
those are the same gaskets im running

how come you dont upgrade to something a little stronger? or do you want the HG to kinda be the 'weak link' in the combo to save the shortblock

it looks like you didnt even drain the coolant before you took the heads off judging by the fact the block still is full, when you take off the lower, coolant will flow out and could fill the cylinders with coolant, looks to me like the intake side of the heads lifted though, look how its not really a "spot" where the gasket broke, but looking at the one pic of the head, it looks discolored on the tops of every cylinder. check that nothings warped, put it back together with studs and dont torque the lower intake bolts so hard next time, that will help the head from lifting a little

blk9450 said:
it looks like you didnt even drain the coolant before you took the heads off judging by the fact the block still is full, when you take off the lower, coolant will flow out and could fill the cylinders with coolant, looks to me like the intake side of the heads lifted though, look how its not really a "spot" where the gasket broke, but looking at the one pic of the head, it looks discolored on the tops of every cylinder. check that nothings warped, put it back together with studs and dont torque the lower intake bolts so hard next time, that will help the head from lifting a little

That is what I was thinking. I didn't really see a blown gasket except maybe the one between the bores. That doesn't allow coolant to get in though.
It appears the head almost lifted all of the way across.

This might be dumb and late in the thread but I would really like to know what all you need to have with a turbo set up. As far as the fuel and timing issue. Is it like a supercharger set up where you have to have a msd box take out timing with pounds of boost? I have not seen you write anything about that. Also do you have a adjustable fuel regulator. I saw that you got a new maf, injectors and a tune. So please tell me what all you need to make the turbo work on a 5.0. Thank You, and I think you have done a great job with your set up.