Flow masters

larbec7

May 28, 2007
I put a set of flow masters on my 2006 GT and what a disapointment, not much difference n the sound. I wonder if straight pipes would be louder and sound better...anyone ever run straight pipes. I live in Texas and need exhaust to pass inspection. I drove it home and no one noticed the dif between the stock and flows............) :

• Sponsors (?)

You should probably ask guys in the S197 section. My '03 sounds great and I get compliments all the time for the sound of my Flows. BTW, which Flowmasters did you get? That can make a difference as well.

On the newer 3V mustangs, it is really hard to get that deep aggressive mustang sound that you are used to hearing when you think of a mustang. The best muffler that I have heard on a 3V that even comes close to "rumbling" is the Pypes violator. www.brenspeed.com has a whole line of pypes products and they also have sound clips on their site for you to hear.

On the newer 3V mustangs, it is really hard to get that deep aggressive mustang sound that you are used to hearing when you think of a mustang. The best muffler that I have heard on a 3V that even comes close to "rumbling" is the Pypes violator. www.brenspeed.com has a whole line of pypes products and they also have sound clips on their site for you to hear.

The mufflers on a 3V mustang are placed at the end of the car while the new edge cars and earlier had them placed just right about under the rear seat. The more pipe you have after a muffler, the throatier the growl.

The 3V mustangs pretty much swapped the position of the fuel tank and the mufflers of the older models. The fuel tank is now more inwards on the 3V with the mufflers outwards and vice versa for new edge and earlier.

Pypes now makes a mid-muffler system which are small little canisters that barely fit next to the fuel tank on a 3V GT to get some of the throatiness back.

If you weren't worried about inspection or don't mind twice a year swapping...add the Pypes O/R H pipe...OMG does it wake up with the Flows!!!!! Your feet will even vibrate from all the rumble! You will be heard from half a mile away under WOT!!!!! Or so I've been told:D

When I leave for work from my g/f's house at 5:15 am, I just start it and idle it down the street until I have to turn on the main road. Just last week her neighbors were outside. They said they hear me when I start it up, but they don't care since they are muscle car people too:nice: They told me they loved how mine sounds:D They have 2 '60s Vettes in the back yard, '92 Firebird and an early '70s Caddy with the 500 in it!

When I leave home the neighbors have never complained either. Hell, 3 houses in our cul de sac have 4 loud azz HDs!

If you add a custom tune it will spruce them up.

I installed the Pypes exterminator and went big deal, then I added the tune and it sounds considerably better.

Take it out and beat the crap out of it and see if that helps......

my flows seem to have gotten louder with time.... they sound great! If you can't remove the cats then get an intake/tune and maybe some shorty headers like the JBA CAT4WARD ones