flowmaster mufflers

I got the original 40 welded on my 02 mustang and the only difference that I notice is that it pulls a little more on the top-end, and by a little I mean its almost not noticable, they defenetly dont rob hp unless its not properly installed. I love the sound doh, they are the best sounding mufflers out there in my opignion.

Get some gears if your for performance because the mufflers alone wont give you what your looking for.

• Sponsors (?)

I do think that there is some TORQUE loss. There is a difference in sotp feeling down low after changing mufflers and going to an off road h pipe. I noticed it too. Again the 4.10 gears brought it all back and then some.

huesmann said:
I think you're full of it. Exhaust gases are positive pressure, not vaccum (sucking). There's no sucking involved in the exhaust--nothing sucks the exhaust out of your motor. It's pushed out by expansion.

not sucking..its called scavenging. If the air is moving fast enough through the headers/pipes/etc. it will 'pull' air from the cylinders instead of the engine having to 'push' it out. If the exhaust system flows too well, its hard to get the velocity high enough to get good scavenging. Its documented and a proven fact.

On a street car, all but the worst mufflers will perform practically the same within 3 or 4 hp, sound is what most people base their decisions on.

Did I gain any RWHP?

bierbelly said:
Yes, he did.

Did lose 7 rwhp with SuckMasters? I believe it. I've heard where just removing the "stock" mufflers and welding in SlowMaster mufflers to the "stock" pipes lost exactly "7" rwhp - perhaps if you put the entire cat-back system on the loss wouldn't be so drastic, but they're still probably one of the lowest rated systems on the market.

BuffaloZone said:
Did lose 7 rwhp with SuckMasters? I believe it. I've heard where just removing the "stock" mufflers and welding in SlowMaster mufflers to the "stock" pipes lost exactly "7" rwhp - perhaps if you put the entire cat-back system on the loss wouldn't be so drastic, but they're still probably one of the lowest rated systems on the market.

:rolleyes: Take a look at the internals of a Flowmaster and then the internals of a stock muffler. The Flowmaster muffler is going to flow significantly better than the stock restrictive peice. Flows might not be the best flowing when compared to other aftermarket mufflers, but they are a definate upgrade over stock.

Did I gain any RWHP?

Craig Mack said:
:rolleyes: Take a look at the internals of a Flowmaster and then the internals of a stock muffler. The Flowmaster muffler is going to flow significantly better than the stock restrictive peice. Flows might not be the best flowing when compared to other aftermarket mufflers, but they are a definate upgrade over stock.

It may "Flow" better, but I always seem to read how Flowmasters manage to be just about the lowest rated (performance) systems and mufflers on the market. While Borla, SLP, etc... seem to be the highest rated for performance. But as for sound, I think Flowmaster is pretty highly rated.

Did I gain any RWHP?

codyGT said:
You think the fact that these mufflers suck would much more obvious to people.

They probably have a great marketing strategy...on the same line as Fram oil filters - why else would one of the absolute lowest rated (Fram) in a side-by-side filter test end up being the "#1 America's choice" filter?

:notnice:

:bs:
You will not lose rwhp with flowmasters. They wouldn't design them like they do if that was the case. I think Flowmaster knows a little more about exhaust than most of us do. They flow a lot better than the stock mufflers and sound better than other mufflers too.

Did I gain any RWHP?

Steve777 said:
:bs: You will not lose rwhp with flowmasters. They wouldn't design them like they do if that was the case.

It's not an across-the-board sort of thing. Some of their mufflers are superior to certain other Flowmaster mufflers (not saying much) and they probably perform better on certain vehicles than they do on others. Ever notice the "as tested on..." test results? And Fram builds a great oil filter, don't they?

BuffaloZone said:
It's not an across-the-board sort of thing. Some of their mufflers are superior to certain other Flowmaster mufflers (not saying much) and they probably perform better on certain vehicles than they do on others. Ever notice the "as tested on..." test results? And Fram builds a great oil filter, don't they?

Aren't you the guy that thought his front bumper change gave you more RWHP?!?!? :notnice:

BuffaloZone said:

MM&FF tested flows vs. every muffler out there.. magnaflow made like 1.5 hp and torque more than the flows.. so drop your grudge. Did a flowmaster muffler fly off and kill one of your relatives or something?

BuffaloZone said:
It may "Flow" better, but I always seem to read how Flowmasters manage to be just about the lowest rated (performance) systems and mufflers on the market. While Borla, SLP, etc... seem to be the highest rated for performance. But as for sound, I think Flowmaster is pretty highly rated.
show me these "ratings" you "always" see.. with some evidence I might begin to entertain your opinions

Poetry!

mcmmotorsports said:
Look, this topic has, and probably will be, beaten to death for as long as there is the automobile. Mufflers are not known to give you large HP gains. The biggest benefit is less backpressure which, when coupled with other mods, can help give you a LITTLE extra HP.
The biggest reason I am going with a Flowmaster setup is one reason and one reason only. Ever since I was 16 years old, 16 years ago for those mathamaticians out there, I have always wanted a Mustang. I wanted one for their looks, their potential to stomp on most anything out there with a little tweeking, but most importantly, the trademark sound that only a Mustang can make. Now that I finally have one ('04 GT) I can't think of any other sound I want coming from the rear of my Pony. Who cares if they are not giving me 1-2 hp more than a Magnaflow system would. I just want to have that sound to drool over each and every waking day for the rest of my pathetic anal retentive life. :nonono:

Couldn't of said it better myself! That was pure poetry homie!

wms004 said:

MM&FF tested flows vs. every muffler out there.. magnaflow made like 1.5 hp and torque more than the flows.. so drop your grudge

What grudge? I --started-- to buy a Flowmaster cat-back system 1st and that's why I asked about them a few months ago, but the vast majority of the replies I got seemed to not be very Pro-Flowmaster - seemed like most people didn't like them for one reason or another...

:shrug:

wms004 said:
show me these "ratings" you "always" see.. with some evidence I might begin to entertain your opinions

Do an online search for Performance Exhaust System Testing, or better yet, post a "Poll" at --this-- Forum...

I'd like to see how it turns out - I'd like to see if people have changed there opinions on Flowmaster exhaust performance. Again, as far as "sound" goes, I know that some people rate them pretty high. :nice:

BuffaloZone said:
Do an online search for Performance Exhaust System Testing, or better yet, post a "Poll" at --this-- Forum...

I'd like to see how it turns out - I'd like to see if people have changed there opinions on Flowmaster exhaust performance. Again, as far as "sound" goes, I know that some people rate them pretty high. :nice:
Should I post a pole asking if changing my bumper will change my RWHP???

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=478135

You are the definition of RICE!

Ryan02Stang said:
Should I post a pole asking if changing my bumper will change my RWHP???

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=478135

Will you cry your NeverEnding tears, like you did last time? You might even start one on "drag" and on preferred *looks* of a bumper cover...

Quote:
"Am I the only one that actually prefers the retro look of the original grille? Plus being smaller, I hope to have less "drag" (to help offset the giant wing). The main reason for removal was actually because I didn't like the curled-up Cobra lip"

See. :p

You are the definition of RICE!

No, it's the people (probably very much like yourself) that seem to be up-to-date "RICE" experts that would actually be the "definition of RICE!", I trust.

Just keep on lettin' your chin quiver...
:)

01MineralgreyGT said:
I think it ia BS as well. the only way to truly upgrade an exhaust is to do it from headers to tips (in my humble opinion of course) :flag:

I see you have SLP long tubes. I like SLP's design that allows you to keep your same mid-pipe with the ability to remove the front piece to add the long tube headers at a later time. And I agree, if you can afford it, it's best to do the entire system...and even better if you can do it all at 1 time to reduce labor.