Flowmasters SUCK, why did I buy?

madams74

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Maryville, TN
Well for years I listened to the sound of a stock cam, with a stock H pipe, and NO mufflers. I think it sounded pretty darn good. Now I have this mild lopey E-cam, a 2 1/2in O/R pipe, and I started out with that good ole original open pipe I hooked back up. Sounded pretty darned good again at idle. The problem was it cackled like a hen in heat. I mean serious cackle at the rear. I do not know if it was the 3"W X 12" long chrome tips I had or what. I decided I had to go with a set of mufflers. I chose the 40 series Flowmasters a couple weeks ago. I had them put on for a mere $40.00 and I thought that was good considering I brought him the mufflers and he only had a few feet of pipe and welding involved. I did not hook back up the rear section. The turndowns are at the rear axle. This car sounds pretty decent during acceleration. I just can not stand the DRONE. I feel like I am in a sub woofer box. The plastic vibrates all in the interior and I feel like screaming it gets on my damn nerves so much. I wonder how all of you guys deal with this. Do all of your favorite mufflers do this? Spins, Macs, Magnas? I had a 400 BB with 2 cherry bomb glasspacks, 4" X 12" in HUGE tips and I thought it sounded awesome compared to this. How about the Dynomax bullets? I dont care a lot about having loud exhaust. Just no cackles and no sub woofer interiors. Anyone wanna set of 40 series ORG Flows? Even has the 2 1/2 pipe weled on the inlets.

• Sponsors (?)

I had an 86' GT with a 2 1/2" Flowmaster system. I partially got rid of it because of the drone. it would just kill @ 2K RPM. Wife hated driving in it. Also got rid of it bacause i lived in Germany and could only take one car back and we had a four door so we sold the stang for a really nice profit! car sounded great on the outside, but inside would hurt your ears something fierce!

Striped5.0 said:
sucks for you, I only notice a drone on my flows at 2000 RPM and I dont even really notice it now especiall when the CD player is cranking :D
hehehe mine only do it at 2000 RPM as well. I'd definetly recommend getting rid of those turn downs, I would be willing to bet that it will help if throw on normal tailpipes. Also, how long ago did you have the mufflers installed? They will take awhile to break in and won't drone nearly as much after they have been on the car for awhile.

you have turndowns and you are wondering why it drones? ANY muffler is going to drone with turndowns. a buddy of mine has mac pro dumps on his car and it is loud enough to wake the dead. i have flowmaster 2 chambers with the tailpipes, along with a tfs cam (slightly bigger than the e-cam), and my exhaust isnt half as loud or resonating as his is. put tailpipes on it and it will quiet down considerably.

You need to add tailpipes! Most performance mufflers will give you a loud drone without tailpipes. Personally i LOVE the drone. I had turndowns at one point but it wouldnt pass PA inspection without some type of tailpipes so i went with a whole mac catback kit.
Mike

I also noticed that more People w/ Fox Bodies complian about the dron of Flows then SN95 owners do. My friends 91 LX Hatch has Mac Headers, O/R H Pipe and Mac Exhaust and is slightly louder then mine b/c of his heads and cam (mine are still stock until this spring) but the major diffrence is on the inside were his is so loud that u cant hear yourself think at times and mine is not that loud at all inside. Think it has to do w/ more sound deading material and the fact that w/ our cars the sound has more to go through, IE... the truck and the fold down rear seats.

I appreciate the comments. I think I am passing on the bullets. I think I will key in on the tails. I know that the difference between the tailpipes on, with the O/R pipe and then JUST the O/R pipe with no tails (what a drive that was), was incredible. I thought for sure a ticket was on the way. I am going to price shop on the kits. Thanks guys....

GTPhreak said:
uhhhhhh...please explain how something with an all metal construction and no moving parts/fiberglass packing can "break in"

After a short amount of time the Mufflers have a slightly diffrent tone, usually a little louder, at this point they are known to be "Broken In"