Fluid recommendations

• Sponsors (?)

I recently tackled the differential drain/refill while installing a new rear end cover/girdle. Got a little advice for that part of your question but no advice RE your trans.

I used Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 gear oil - works just fine IMHO, as should any other quality lube (conventional or synthetic).

Grab a couple of quarts of gear lube (maybe a third bottle for good measure). When you refill the diff, pour the new gear oil in until you can put your finger in the factory fill/inspection hole (on the front side of the diff housing) and touch fluid. OR fill the diff until fluid begins to slowly drain out of that fill spot. You don't want to overfill it or under-fill the diff.

Here's my write-up RE installing the aftermarket diff cover/girdle:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...-differential-girdle-cover-install-snafu.html

FYI - Old/used gear oil is probably some of the foulest smelling stuff on Earth - do NOT spill it when draining your diff. Slowly crack open the diff cover and allow the nasty gear oil to seep/drain down (loosen the top couple of bolts on the housing while draining) into your catch pan.

Have fun.

:cheers:

Go buy the cheapest 80/90 oil for the rear end, and the friction modifier. They sell it at most auto parts stores. For the transmission, go buy a gallon bottle of generic DEX/MERC 3. Gears don't need all that fancy oil stuff, spend your money elsewhere.

Kurt

I use wynns 75-140 synthetic gear lube w/ friction modifier. And for the tranny I use synthetic ATF+4 (dex 4). For the rear end as long as you use some decent fluid and f/modifier your fine I agree with kurt. I use that stuff because its free, lol. But for the trans I like to make sure its something at least quality. Not some off the shelf recycled advance auto chit.

I use wynns 75-140 synthetic gear lube w/ friction modifier. And for the tranny I use synthetic ATF+4 (dex 4). For the rear end as long as you use some decent fluid and f/modifier your fine I agree with kurt. I use that stuff because its free, lol. But for the trans I like to make sure its something at least quality. Not some off the shelf recycled advance auto chit.

Advance oil isn't recycled. It's just Havoline without a Havoline label. Generic fluids from a parts store are sold the same way Macoroni and Cheese is sold generically at the grocery store. You can look at the SAE label on the back, just like you look at the nutrition facts in the grocery store. You can compare every bottle of conventional oil on the shelf, and they all meet the same SAE standards. None of the oils on that shelf are recycled. Oil is generally not recycled and reused as lubricating oil. Most oil, once it is recycled is used for home heating oil. All the fancy labels is just marketing. It's all basically the same crap, so why would you spend the money on name brand? Advance Auto Antifreeze is just unbranded Prestone. Same stuff, different sticker.

Kurt

Advance oil isn't recycled. It's just Havoline without a Havoline label. Generic fluids from a parts store are sold the same way Macoroni and Cheese is sold generically at the grocery store. You can look at the SAE label on the back, just like you look at the nutrition facts in the grocery store. You can compare every bottle of conventional oil on the shelf, and they all meet the same SAE standards. None of the oils on that shelf are recycled. Oil is generally not recycled and reused as lubricating oil. Most oil, once it is recycled is used for home heating oil. All the fancy labels is just marketing. It's all basically the same crap, so why would you spend the money on name brand? Advance Auto Antifreeze is just unbranded Prestone. Same stuff, different sticker.

Kurt

Ok well I will have to find the oil I saw once (maybe bennet) that was the cheapest thing they has and the API donut on the back was blank. Not even energy conservation 1 on the label. So you are right if the donut on the back is up to par then your good. But its is by FAR not fair to say at all that all oil is created equally. Some come from cleaner base stocks and are more refined. For the purposes of differentials sure its all good.

Derrick

"Advance Auto Antifreeze is just unbranded Prestone. Same stuff, different sticker."

Not exactly, it may very well be Prestone who private labels for AA but it does not make it exactly like Prestone "house" brand if you will. AA orders it to their spec which is completely different then what Prestone own brand is spec'ed for.
Kinda like Motorcraft and Kendall oil, they are both made by ConocoPhillips but none have the same additive package.