Flushing the Cooling System

durtyd929

Mar 20, 2006
Miami, Fl
What is the step by step proper way to flush the coolant out of the radiator, and then to refill the system without ending up with air in any of the hoses? I'm going to replace what I hope is just a bad t-stat(in an attempt to fix an overheating issue) and I want to change the coolant also. Any info will be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't see anywhere in that write up where he bleed the system. I think that there is a bleeder screw on the coolant crossover pipe. I haven't flush my coolant yet, but I plain on it soon.

coolant

Spoke to dealer today about coolant flush. The service advisor absolutely advised AGAINST changing out the coolant now. He said my car had the "gold" coolant and they recommend it being left in for 100K miles. I won't leave it in that long, but guess 33K miles is a little early.

I've always heard it's best to change coolant and brake fluid every 2 years. That's what I try to do.

There is a plug on the coolant crossover that you could use to bleed any air out of the system. It takes a 1/4'' drive ratchet to crack it. Don't bleed it until the engine reaches full temp and the stat is opened. I'd drain the radiator and remove the lower hose at the block behind the engine oil filter for a good drain. Run a 60%water 40% coolant mix with a bottle or 2 of water wetter.