Fly-Cutting Pistons....

OutLawSE

Founding Member
Nov 6, 2001
NJ
Guys,

My TFS Heads are milled .050. I would like to run the Crower 511 cam with 1.7s : .498/.515 Lift , 218/224 Duration.

Does anyone have any info on flycutting pistons? Is it easy to do and how do you go about cutting them.

The pistons are hyper.

Thanks....

• Sponsors (?)

If the VAVE LIFTS with the 1.7 RR is truly .498/.515 Lift , and 218/224 Duration @ 0.050 then you should not need to flycut stock pistons. Or are those specs for a 1.6 rr setup or a 1.7 rr setup as stated?

Twisted Wedge websites says you can run up to 0.542 lift and 224 duration @ 0.050 without clearance problems with stock pistons.

ALWAYS check piston to valve clearance when you build a non-stock setup despite what I or anyone says.

IF you would ever need to flycut pistons for Twisted Wedge then it will be somewhat challenging as their valve angles are not stock valve angle so valve would hit the piston at different angle than what is cut into stock pistons. That's why some aftermarket pistons have special reliefs in them for the valve angle generated by Twisted Wedge Heads.

I've got the Crower 15511 cam with 1.7 rr and Edelbrock Performer heads and no problems (although they are 1.90/1.60 valves). Everyone has told me the lift on the Crower w/1.7's 500/518 no one has ever told me the numbers you posted although there's only a couple thousands of an inch.

Casey

Also,

How do you modify a old hydr roller lifter in your to measure your P/V clearance?
Do you just take out the spring and fill the lifter with a bolt or metal?

OutLawSE said:
Also,

How do you modify a old hydr roller lifter in your to measure your P/V clearance?
Do you just take out the spring and fill the lifter with a bolt or metal?

I just deprim(TAKE ALL THE OIL OUT IF IT) one of the lifter in a vise.... make it loose (i could compress it with my finger).