Fly Wheel Issue Found During Engine Swap

AwPhooey

15 Year Member
Aug 14, 2012
Hello Folks- hoping to get some guidance regarding my issue, appreciate the space.

I have a 2000 GT A/T which was totaled in an accident- body shot, engine great. I found a 2002 GT manual which is cherry and has a blown engine. From all I've read on the boards and in asking other Mustang pros in person, it was supposed to be pretty seamless taking my 2000 engine and matching it with the 2002 manual tranny. Hasn't been the case so far- the flywheel bolt pattern is just ever so slightly off (pic attached).

I'm not sure what to do here, I'm pretty bummed and soon to need a running vehicle to get to work. Can anyone tell me why this may be the case, when I've never read this as being an issue? Will I need to have to have a flywheel made for me from a machine shop?

Any guidance you folks can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Phoo

Attachments

• fly wheel.jpg
    fly wheel.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Sponsors (?)

+1 on above. Move to a different O'clock position and it WILL fit assuming the base number of bolts are the same. The 2000 GT should have an 8 bolt flywheel whereas the 2002 GT should have a 6 bolt flywheel.

When converting a motor from automatic to manual remember to remove the pilot bearing. Otherwise the torque converter won't fully seat.

Hey folks, thanks for taking the time to respond. I did a little reading last night, and based on what I read, caught the aspect of Romeo vs Windsor, and I was confused because the manual I bought is an '02- but I saw "Windsor" on both valve covers while I was swapping out (didn't pay much attention to it at the time, I'm still learning as I go along).

I just went out to look at the door sticker, apparently I have an '02 body, but a '00 engine- but now I'm even MORE confused, because if they're the same engine I shouldn't be having this problem at all.

Let me try to do a bit better job of explaining what I did though, just to be clear. I own a 2000 stock GT, automatic transmission, which my son totaled. Engine is fine so I took it out, parted out rest of car.

I apparently found a 2002 stock GT with a '00 engine with manual transmission. Engine blown but otherwise everything else is great. I am trying to match the engine from my 2000 GT with the 2000 manual tranny, but the bolt pattern on the flywheel (both wheels have 8) is slightly off.

I've turned it and turned it repeatedly, but to no avail. The forum doesn't seem to allow me to post an attachment, so I placed a pic of my problem on Flickr. You can see where the bolt hole edges are slightly off. And again, I've rotated and rotated and this is the best I can get.

Here's the pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awwphoo...n/photostream/

Any more advice you'd be willing to give would be appreciated.

Phoo

Count the number of bolt hole on the valve covers. The Windsor and Romeo are different.

There WERE some Romeo's produced with 8 bolt cranks. They are rare. Ford ran short on 6 bolt cranks and used what was onhand. But this goes to show how similar the motor's are.

In my own case, I took out the 2000 GT Windsor and replaced it with a 2004 Romeo from a Crown Vic.

It looks like you are comparing the flywheel to the flexplate. Have you tried it on the motor? Note, the bolt holes are NOT symmetrical which is why they have to be re-clocked.

Thanks WM- yes, I was using the flex plate as a guide, as I wasn't matching it well up against the motor. I'll try a little more carefully again, and appreciate the info on the windsor vs romeo cranks

Ok. So here it goes- I feel like a dumb***. I tried lining the holes up, didn’t work. I posted. Basically everyone said keep turning. Tried for 30 minutes, no luck. Posted. People said “keep turning, go slow”. I turned some more, slow. No luck. Posted. People said “no, turn very very very slow”. At that point, I started thinking nobody understands what I’m trying to say here, they just don’t get it. I’m turning it and turning it and everyone here seems to have no idea what they…. Oh… it’s lined up…

Thanks everyone. I’m man enough to come back and say you were right and boy was I wrong- but hells bells, it’s almost like you have to chant, turn, close one eye, whistle and speak some magic to get the holes to line up. I’m still not sure I’m not damaged by the whole experience.

Thanks again
Phoo