Flywheel balance question

Skymarshal

Nov 5, 2004
Dallas
I am wondering if the flywheel is balanced at the factory by itself, or if it is balanced as part of the rotating assembly?

I did my clutch several weeks ago, and indexed the driveshaft to pinion flanges with paint as instructed to make sure they went back on the same way. No mention was made about the flywheel, and I didn't think it would matter. The car now has a definite vibration, and it's definitely engine and not drivetrain. Could this be caused by the flywheel having been put back on in a different position? It was turned, but I doubt if that would change its balance enough to feel. I really don't want to do that whole bloody job all over again...

• Sponsors (?)

Did you align the clutch disc properly? was there a new pressure plate involved or did you just have the old one turned? If old one, did you index that in correlation with the flywheel to insure proper alignment? If new one, do they come with alignment markings? And finally, when you tightened the pressure plate bolts, did you tighten a quarter turn at a time.... and not just torque them as you seen fit?

I'm just going through the obvious checklist. I have to admit, I never done a clutch before, I was just going through the clutch install procedures in one of my manuals. Thought maybe there is something you missed.