flywheel resurfacing.

• Sponsors (?)

45 bucks last time I did it.. Honestly I don't bother with resurfacing any more. I personally never had much luck with it. first time I had it cleaned up it had a very slight vibration but not worth pulling it out, the second time I machined it down, because the first time there was very little taken off, it vibrated like crazy. Personally for the 99 bucks for a fms stock replacement, I would just buy it new.

You could do it yourself, but the machine is expensive and it takes up a lot of room. ;) If your flyweel is warped, I would just replace it because even though you will probally be able to machine it out, it will probally just warp again, the surface will be smooth but the flywheel will still be distorted. They are too cheap new to fight about. Also, if you see any hot spots or tiny cracks, definatly replace. Again, you might be able to machine these out but chances are you will have problems down the road.

I also feel that if your flywheel has nothing wrong with it but needs a resurface, then do that because it's gone this long with no problems and probally will continue to work well. Breaking in the clutch properly will have a big impact on how the clutch performes.

ok thats no big deal i can get it done...but this vibration problem you guys talk about has me a bit uneasy.... local part stores sell oem flywheels right? (if it comes down to it i'm going to buy a new flywheel...but i'm pressed for time. i only have 2 days to get the job done. so hopefully i can get a stocker at a local parts store or at ford.)

sorry to be :OT: but it is related. once, a machine shop guy said that to do a resurface correctly, one needs to use a Blanchard grinder (something like that). does this sound right?- ive seldom (ok, never) heard of anyone having it done with one, but wondered if it was better (i dont know what a Blanchard grinder does).

HISSIN50 said:
sorry to be :OT: but it is related. once, a machine shop guy said that to do a resurface correctly, one needs to use a Blanchard grinder (something like that). does this sound right?- ive seldom (ok, never) heard of anyone having it done with one, but wondered if it was better (i dont know what a Blanchard grinder does).

That is how it should be done, I've never had one done differently then on a Blanchard....

Rick 91GT said:
That is how it should be done, I've never had one done differently then on a Blanchard....

cool, thanks Rick (i had that question in mind for you, since it fit the thread and you had already responded to the thread). you might have been the one whom said to do it that way way back when, when i read that on a thread in here. :)

ill make sure to make sure the machine shop does it that way, when the time comes (if not renewing the flywheel).

thanks again, Rick :nice:

A NAPA guy said he would resurface my flywheel last year when I was doing my stock clutch install for $25 bucks...and when we pulled the flywheel...nothing seemed wrong with it...it was smooth and didn't notice a warp so we put it on...but now one year later (after FTI swap a couple weeks ago)...the clutch is slipping :bang:

Spec Stage1, Aluminum driveshaft, and OEM clutch cable (to go on my UPR adjustable quadrant)...here I come... :mad:

89MustangGX said:
I agree on turning the flywheel, but I also like to do funny things like turn drums and rotors whenever I change pads or shoes. Makes sense to me.
You are supposed to because the old pads/shoes have worn a pattern into the drums/rotors.

On another note to the resurfacing, a good finish will have a nice swirl pattern on the flywheel that is nice and evenly spaced (looks a lot like a half moon shape going around the flywheel).

87'GTstang said:
You are supposed to because the old pads/shoes have worn a pattern into the drums/rotors.

On another note to the resurfacing, a good finish will have a nice swirl pattern on the flywheel that is nice and evenly spaced (looks a lot like a half moon shape going around the flywheel).
good info 87GT - but i think you are preaching to the choir. most know it is best to resurface - just that many are too lazy to do it. it is pretty amazing how much better a resurfaced brake rotor grabs, if the old one was grooved or glazed up. on a smooth rotor, the glaze alone can really diminish braking performance.
thanks for bringing up this point again - i think the importance is underestimated. :nice:

Sorry to bring this back up, but I just had mine resurfaced and I just now realized I didn't get a spacer for between the crank and the flywheel as I have before. I just plain forgot about it, and the last place that did it for me provided one with the resurfacing. Did you gusy go without it, or did you all put one in. If no-one else is running it, I'm going to forget about it. Please let me know ASAP.