FMS Wires

WMDPALMER

Founding Member
Feb 28, 2001
Eglin AFB, FL
I got a set of FMS Wires for christmas. told my Mother-in-law that instead of getting me misc stuff for Christmas, I can get the stuff I need and kill two birds with one stone. Fine. I ordered Red FMS Wires from Summit and got Blue. went to go and put them on and found out i got two #6 wires instead of a #5. I called Summit and they agreed to return them. Well I though what the hell i'll keep the Blue just send me a #5. That was all set to go but then i go to put the Coil wire on and the brass insert was put on the wire backwards! These wires were really long and didn't fit well. I called Summit and they agreed to even exchange them for a set of Taylor wires. They said they get alot of negative calls about FMS wires. Any one on here run Taylor wires?? Are they any good??

• Sponsors (?)

WMDPALMER said:
I got a set of FMS Wires for christmas. told my Mother-in-law that instead of getting me misc stuff for Christmas, I can get the stuff I need and kill two birds with one stone. Fine. I ordered Red FMS Wires from Summit and got Blue. went to go and put them on and found out i got two #6 wires instead of a #5. I called Summit and they agreed to return them. Well I though what the hell i'll keep the Blue just send me a #5. That was all set to go but then i go to put the Coil wire on and the brass insert was put on the wire backwards! These wires were really long and didn't fit well. I called Summit and they agreed to even exchange them for a set of Taylor wires. They said they get alot of negative calls about FMS wires. Any one on here run Taylor wires?? Are they any good??

I have LiveWires but Taylor has a long-standing reputation for quality. Don't worry, you're coming out with the better deal.

The FMS wires are way too long, I was able to snake mine all around in there to take up the slack though. I wish I had gone with something else, I may go with livewires or something in the future. In the meantime, these work ok I guess.

i would go with Taylor as that is what i bought and they are just snug enough to where you can put them in the wire seperators without them bunching up plus they have bright colors, and nice wire looms youc an get. As far as the plugs go, i would just get some autolite 25's or some motorcraft copper plugs

jason

the accell wire kits come in a non crimped package to cut to fit etc. so im sure you could uncrimp the boots etc. and recrimp them after they were shortened. But thats a lot of trouble.

I got my taylors at the local speedshop for 45$, they also have the swivel on the plug end to adjust the boot for your headers

jason

GTPhreak said:
did you to that with the fms 9mm? what does it take to do?
My Dad did it when we put new headers on my car. He's been a Ford mechanic for the past twenty-some years, so I doubt it has an adverse effects, or he wouldn't have done it. I wasn't watching him too closely, but I think he just yanked the boot off and cut the wire to the desired length and put the boot back on. I don't think it takes too much more than that.

Joe

well, I know MSD wires won't work if they are cut, and you have to have all MSD wires too, one of another brand messes up everything... but then again, that is MSD...

Why is that? I have bought the single msd wire, and cut it to fit before. And even ran a fms wire with 7 msd's. didnt affect anything.

All you need to do, is cut the wire back to where u want it. Take a razor blade and carfully go around the wire(circumference) cuting the outer sheething off. Be carefull not to cut the inner core. Then stick the new terminal on, crimp it with some plyers. Next spray it with some WD40 and slide the new boot on. It can be pretty damn tight sliding the boot on, especially the MSD stright boots.

I suppose you could rip the old boot off if u need to reuse the boot, u may need to spray some WD40 in there to help it slide off.