Fogged/moisture in head/fog lights.

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Sea of Tranquility
I have been battling water and moisture in the lenses of my fog and headlights since I bought my car. I have blown at least 5 foglight bulbs in a year due to water collecting in the lens and splashing up blowing out the bulb. I tried sealing the lights with silicone but no luck. So I then took off my headlights and noticed a rubber plug on the bottom corner. I removed it to let the water drain then decided to leave it out. Voila! No more moisture/fogging headlight. I decided to drill 2 small holes in my fog lights and got the same results. No more water build up and the holes are not large enough to let water in even in the rain. I waited a few months before I posted so as to make sure no other problems arose. So far, so good.

• Sponsors (?)

I need to drill into my fog light housings, there's definately condensation in there so I haven't been using my Sylvania Silverstar fogs :( They don't look any brighter than the stock fogs though, the housing sucks. :notnice:

RysRed96GT said:
my clears leaked like a faucet. i tried silicone sealer on all the edges and no more leaks. silicone sealer works miracles if used in the right spots :nice:
I tried siliconing the areas where the pieces attached but I still got water in. Then I coated the whole thing. Still got moisture. Now that I have a place for water to drain it also stays dry. Never have been able to figure out how the water was getting in but this deal I did solved the problem.

I thought I'd bring this back. It's been 4 months since I did this and have had NO more problems with condensation or water in my fog light housing or headlights. If you are having moisture problems try the suggestion above. It wored excellent for me.

96GT Toy said:
Brings a new meaning to the name FOG, Lights!
I have the same problem but rarely drive with the fog lights on anyway, they seem to be more of an appearance item than a function item.
It's the coolness factor man...distiguishes you from the 'also rans'.

coramprat said:
I drilled small 3/8th holes in my fogs...just the big enough to allow water to drain.
Did you remove the fog light and drill on the bottom, or did you drill in the lower corner? If you pulled it out, is it just the two torque screws and the light comes out? I have just blown my third light and it's starting to get on my nerves. This last time some chick in a riced out civic told me it was out :nonono:

coramprat said:
I thought I'd bring this back. It's been 4 months since I did this and have had NO more problems with condensation or water in my fog light housing or headlights. If you are having moisture problems try the suggestion above. It wored excellent for me.
Good catch - I'm on my way out the door to try it now ! Thanks !!

My headlights have two rubber tubes on the bottom each headlight housing. So, I took them off. There was some foam crap in two of the tubes, and the other two were stuffed with bees and hornets (dead) Not kidding. Maybe they were attracted by the "honeycomb" grille ? Nah ... I'll see if this trick clears the fogging problem. :nice:

PSUPef2k said:
I am not completely following this. Where do you drill the hole and how big?

You have to pull the fog light out, then drill holes in the housing. I did this many years ago on mine and have not had a failure yet. I drilled 3 1/8" holes on top and 2 on the bottom near the back. theory is to allow moisture to drain from the bottom and steam to escape from the top.

No problems with my headlamps so no help there.

To remove the fog light housing you have the remove the adjustment screw first (phillips), then use a large flat screw driver to "pop" the housing out. To "pop" it out put the flat blade on the side of the housing near the pivot point and pry it out. (Basically you try to push the housing to one side while bending its "holder" to release the pins it pivots on)