foggy windows

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by crushnut, Dec 8, 2003.

1. crushnut

crushnut New Member

When my front windshield fogs up it says MUSTANG up by the rear view mirror, does anybody elses car do this? How can i get rid of it :shrug:

Also i can never seem to get my rear windshield to defrost, ive tried all the levers in different combinations and such, but still to no avail. It just kinda bugs me, is this a common problem with our cars, or is it just me?

2. TOM B

TOM B New Member

3. crushnut

crushnut New Member

Thanks, i'll have to give that a try.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Early-Model Mentor
    Founding Member

Going to a warmer thermostat, like 180 degrees, may warm up the defroster and heater some. The heater controls do not direct anything on the rear window. The effectiveness of the heater/defroster also depends upon the outside air temperature and the humidity.

5. Glen's 1965 5.0

Founding Member

Make sure that all of your duct work is in good working order also along with a good heater core. What year car do you have??

6. Ozsum67

Ozsum67 Too much thin air
    Founding Member

I have never had my rear window fog up, at least not while going down the road. I suspect you have a moisture problem. Could be from a pin hole leak in the heater core that is pumping unwanted humidity in there, or there may be a degree of saturation along the back tray from a window leak. Heavy breather? :D

7. crushnut

crushnut New Member

I already have a 195 thermostat, and all the ducting and hoses are new. The heater core i don't know about, always assumed it was alright. My car is a 68 coupe. It is usually when i get in the car that it is already fogged up and i can't get it unfogged, lately i've just been driving with the driver side window down a few inches, this works better at defrosting the rear window than the heater does, but even that isn't very great.

8. red65

red65 Member

I used to have a Capri 5.0 that went through heater cores faster than most cars go through gasoline, for some reason. First sign that the heater core had sprung a leak was the sick-sweet smell and fogged windows that refused to clear without opening a window. Just a thought - sounds like you could have a leaky heater core...

9. Fostang

Founding Member

For rear window how about installing a rear window defoger?

JC whitney has them. All they are is flat copper wire that sticks to the glass. Same as any other window defoger.