For 6# KB owners...

BuffaloZone

Oct 14, 2003
I'm ready to buy..
After considering all options from a full built forged engine, heads, cams, built transmission, rear axle, etc... all hooked up to maxed out KB (looking for that 600+ RWHP) to just going with a 9# KB system on stock internals with stock transmission and rear axle. With the 9# I figured that I'd "upgrade" things if/when they broke. I'd try and drive the car fairly decent, but with the 9# KB...I don't know how long the stock rear axles with the 4.10s would stay happy - same for the transmission. Anyway, before I get too long-winded, I'm sure that I'll just go with the 6# KB with all of the KB inlet pieces. I've decided to go easy with my HP gains for now and if I do ever decide to upgrade in the future I'll either go with a special built Steeda Q car, or I'll let Modular Power House do a complete rebuild - avoiding the middle-of-the-road 9# phase. A 6# KB may be all I ever need, but if it isn't...it will be a good way for me to learn how to drive with forced induction.

What I'd like to know, even if my mind is (finally) made up, are you 6# KB guys pretty happy with the choice you made? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

BuffaloZone said:
I'm ready to buy..
After considering all options from a full built forged engine, heads, cams, built transmission, rear axle, etc... all hooked up to maxed out KB (looking for that 600+ RWHP) to just going with a 9# KB system on stock internals with stock transmission and rear axle. With the 9# I figured that I'd "upgrade" things if/when they broke. I'd try and drive the car fairly decent, but with the 9# KB...I don't know how long the stock rear axles with the 4.10s would stay happy - same for the transmission. Anyway, before I get too long-winded, I'm sure that I'll just go with the 6# KB with all of the KB inlet pieces. I've decided to go easy with my HP gains for now and if I do ever decide to upgrade in the future I'll either go with a special built Steeda Q car, or I'll let Modular Power House do a complete rebuild - avoiding the middle-of-the-road 9# phase. A 6# KB may be all I ever need, but if it isn't...it will be a good way for me to learn how to drive with forced induction.

What I'd like to know, even if my mind is (finally) made up, are you 6# KB guys pretty happy with the choice you made? Thanks.

I think that was close to being one of the longest run on sentences I've seen a while. :bang:

I'm totally happy with my 6psi kit.

I'm running 4:10s too and she's a great street car.

Boatloads of power that'll double any posted speed limit in around 5 seconds...but still some liveable grip so you're not going through rears tires every 5-6 tanks of gas. And she behaves just like a stocker when you're driving her tame. It's a nice combo.

I went for a ripp a few weeks back, in a whippled 03 Cobra with 550rwhp, soild rear axle and 4:10s. The car was just plain nuts. When he hit the gas...I was waiting for something to give (aka: parts breaking...or ending up going in a direction we were not anticipating)...it is one crazy mofo.

A 6psi KB GT makes for a nice fast street car...enough power to keep you on your toes...but not the kind that'll break the car.

My 2 cents. :cheers:

2000BLKGT said:
I'm totally happy with my 6psi kit.

I'm running 4:10s too and she's a great street car.

Boatloads of power that'll double any posted speed limit in around 5 seconds...but still some liveable grip so you're not going through rears tires every 5-6 tanks of gas. And she behaves just like a stocker when you're driving her tame. It's a nice combo.

I went for a ripp a few weeks back, in a whippled 03 Cobra with 550rwhp, soild rear axle and 4:10s. The car was just plain nuts. When he hit the gas...I was waiting for something to give (aka: parts breaking...or ending up going in a direction we were not anticipating)...it is one crazy mofo.

A 6psi KB GT makes for a nice fast street car...enough power to keep you on your toes...but not the kind that'll break the car.

My 2 cents. :cheers:

Glad that you're happy with your KB. For now I figure it will the best kit for my needs.

:nice:

I didn't know the inlet stuff (I assume you mean the 90mm MAF, and the big tube,) did anything on the non-intercooled kit.. guess I should go back to reading the faq!

sgarlic said:
I didn't know the inlet stuff (I assume you mean the 90mm MAF, and the big tube,) did anything on the non-intercooled kit.. guess I should go back to reading the faq!

I meant the Cool Air Kit, 90mm Meter, Big Tube and 75mm TB...yes.

I didn't see any mention of the inlet parts doing nothing for the non-intercooled kit, but I did see...

"RECOMMENDED OPTIONAL PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS (see catalog & website)
Kenne Bell 90mm Meter & Chip (up to 13HP over stock meter)
Kenne Bell 70mm Throttle Body (10HP over stock)
Kenne Bell 75mm Throttle Body & "Big Tube" Kit (18HP over stock)
Kenne Bell Cool Air Kit (up to 13HP)

Note: Kenne Bell 90mm Mass Air Meter / Chip Package, Cool Air Kit and 70 or 75mm Throttle Body highly recommended. See Tech Tips."

...I didn't see a (recommended for "Intercooled" kit only) warning any where. Did I miss it? Also, when I sent an email to the Kenne Bell site and asked "what exactly would I need for a complete system" for the 6psi kit, they sent me...

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt96-03_2v/gt96-04.htm
http://kennebell.net/accessories/CobraCoolAir/CobraCoolAir.htm
http://kennebell.net/accessories/2V-InletComponents/2V_InletComponents.htm

I don't know why the KB inlet components wouldn't work equal to (or better than) "stock" or Mac, K&N, etc....

:shrug:

hotmustang331 said:
LOL, 290? Man i feel sorry for him. After LTs ill be making at least that much power N/A. 02laser, it seemed like yesterday that your car was bone stock W/ what 206RWHP lol, and now look at it :rlaugh: . 350RWHP and KBd.

That's 205hp/238tq :( I said "screw that, I'll go for the BIG bolt on first!"

But yeah, I saw the results of quite a few ppl from here and in the KB tech section in Modular Fords message board. Someone couldnt get over 300hp for anything, even after multiple re-tunes. Then on the other hand, there's one guy who made 380hp with 8 PSI NON-intercooled.

My current #s are about as low as you'll find for an IC'ed kit. But this is on a pretty much bone stock auto with gears. I'll add mid-pipe/headers and a re-tune a couple months from now.

hotmustang331 said:
LOL, 290? Man i feel sorry for him.

I'd just as soon have my options (some will be removed with SC install) and a 6 psi KB...over your options and LTs. Any day. I wonder how many others would prefer a 6 psi KB over LTs? Or maybe the KB and LTs? :)

After LTs ill be making at least that much power N/A.

I can't wait until I'm not N/A. :nice:

hotmustang331 said:
Man 205/238....that thing must have been a dog, would have teken everybolton in the book to stay with a stock 5spd lol. Good choice.

Not if the 5spd driver skills suck all day long. I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least 10 stinko 5spd drivers out there for every 1 good driver. :D

DoubleONegative said:
do yourself a favor and just get the IC 9psi kit.

You'll thank me later

my tranny and Half-shafts are holding up just fine with the power and TQ

Thanks for the advice. This probably won't change my opinion, but I never really got an answer about the cooler on another thread...what portion of the radiator/condenser is covered up by the cooler?

Thanks.

hotmustang331 said:
Well can you use an aftermarket CAI with the 1.7 KBs?

KB claims that their components are superior.

I thought that only KBs stuff would work....

One guy claimed that inlet "stuff" is a waste on non-intercooled kits. I don't believe it.

6psi seems like a cheap quick alternitave. i could get it right now if I wanted lol.

That's what I thought - don't see any reason to wait any longer! :)