For all of us that hate the muffler placement

Stangnut said:
Once again you are off topic. This thread is about how they look. Not about how safe they are.
Also, if you'll go back and read the topic of this thread you'll notice YOU'RE the one who is missing the point.
This thread is directed at people who "hate the muffler placement"
Obviously you are not one of those that do.
Go find another thread.

For 40 years it hasn't been a "safety" issue, so why should it all of the sudden be in the back. I agree with Stangnut, who cares what other cars are doing, we're talking about Mustangs.

To me your reasoning has no foundation, just because of one, then the other and it's ok?

• Sponsors (?)

JAZ 5.0 said:
For 40 years it hasn't been a "safety" issue, so why should it all of the sudden be in the back. I agree with Stangnut, who cares what other cars are doing, we're talking about Mustangs.

To me your reasoning has no foundation, just because of one, then the other and it's ok?

Thank you.

Stangnut said:
It's obvious, you like the look, or at least don't mind it.
However, if you'll read other post here and the other Mustang boards,
you'll notice MOST people don't like the mufflers and feel they would LOOK better if they weren't visible from behind the car.
I don't care where they are. I just don't want to see them.
Funny how every aftermarket muffler that has come out so far is trying to tuck them farther up into the car.
But, of course, the opinions of the rest of the Mustang fans don't matter, huh?

Did I ever say yours or anyones opinion didn't matter? You're the one telling me to leave because you don't like my opinion.

JAZ 5.0 said:

The issue is that gas tanks have to be in front the rear axles now to make rear end collisions safer (think "pinto"). With gas tanks in front, there isn't room for the mufflers so they have to go in the back.

You're turning the thread into something it's not.
WE are talking about the fact that they don't look good back there.
I believe you were the one that was telling the rest of us to "get over it"
Sounds like our opinions don't matter to you.
But maybe I read that wrong? Nope. That's what you said.

TomServo92 said:
The issue is that gas tanks have to be in front the rear axles now to make rear end collisions safer (think "pinto"). With gas tanks in front, there isn't room for the mufflers so they have to go in the back.

Fine put them behind the axle.
Put them in the wheel wells if it's safer.
It doesn't matter. I just don't like them sticking out from under the car like a Camaro.

Stangnut said:
You're turning the thread into something it's not.
WE are talking about the fact that they don't look good back there.
I believe you were the one that was telling the rest of us to "get over it"
Sounds like our opinions don't matter to you.
But maybe I read that wrong? Nope. That's what you said.

My point was they're in back and that isn't going to change. Either live with them or buy new mufflers. But if you guys want to have post after post discussing how bad it looks, then be my guest.

Stangnut said:
Fine put them behind the axle.
Put them in the wheel wells if it's safer.
It doesn't matter. I just don't like them sticking out from under the car like a Camaro.

Fine. I understand where you're coming from and I believe you understand me as well. Can we call a truce now? Bickering amongst ourselves is pointless. Let's save it for the GTO owners! :nice:

I'm not impressed by the muffler placement, and I highly doubt it had anything to do with safety. More like noise and vibration standards that would eliminate things like exhaust drone, rattles, and other noises due to the mufflers being located under the floorboard. Since the 05' stang is using the Lincoln Ls platform the exhaust is also pretty similar. With that said I'd like to see an 05' stang with the mufflers deleted at the bumper, and maybe a pair of resonator mufflers or bullet type like the dynomax or borla XR1's placed before the rear axle. That would clean up the look from the rear and provide a nice sounding mustang.

I think this "gas tank in the back is unsafe" is so inflated. Of course if you get hard enough in the back something might happen. But regardless, something can happen where ever you put the tank because a hit hard enough can cause same problems.

But that is not the topic. I personally agree with it looking weird. Mustangs have always had tailpipes coming out from under the bumber, now we see the whole muffler. It just doesn't look right. I still have mixed feelings about as it's growing on me. But right now, it just looks weird.

91cobraR said:
I'm not impressed by the muffler placement, and I highly doubt it had anything to do with safety. More like noise and vibration standards that would eliminate things like exhaust drone, rattles, and other noises due to the mufflers being located under the floorboard. Since the 05' stang is using the Lincoln Ls platform the exhaust is also pretty similar. With that said I'd like to see an 05' stang with the mufflers deleted at the bumper, and maybe a pair of resonator mufflers or bullet type like the dynomax or borla XR1's placed before the rear axle. That would clean up the look from the rear and provide a nice sounding mustang.
Actually, Tom is right.
It's not that the mufflers are safer, it's that there's, unfortunately, not room for them anymore in front of the axle where they'd be out of sight, because the gas tank is there now. No where else to put them. Except maybe in the wheel wells. (see one of the post above)

Stangnut said:
Actually, Tom is right.
It's not that the mufflers are safer, it's that there's, unfortunately, not room for them anymore in front of the axle where they'd be out of sight, because the gas tank is there now. No where else to put them. Except maybe in the wheel wells. (see one the post above)

Wow! I'm right about something! j/k

I think as a consolation to having the muffs out back, consider that having the gas tank in front of the axle gives better weight distribution and thus better handling. I guess that's the reason I don't mind them out back is that handling is more important than a minor styling issue. But that's just me....

I do agree that maybe Ford could have hidden them a little better but to me it just isn't an issue.

I think the pipes coming out the back give a lot of the mustang's character... as well as quality of sound

I haven't forgotten the aftermarket yet, but i think the new mustang will bear a sound which is distinctively different than the 96-04 mustangs

Hey guys.....

Just a little insight from us......

1. The 05 Mustang sounds different then the 99-04 car.

Like it or not, the car just sounds different, nothing can be done about that.

2. There is no room for mufflers anywhere on the car except for where they are placed from the factory.

We even tried developing a 3.5" round to go before the axle, and it just will not fit with out getting too close to the drive shaft, or hanging so low, you could never lower the car.

If anyone would like to cut holes in their floor boards though, we would be more then happy to develop a system with the mufflers before the axle...lol

im confused about the safety issue,you will notice the new gto has a muffler setup similar to the 04 gt and earlier mustangs,whereas the fbody had the single muffler at the rear of the car,so if pontiac can put them underneath the car,looks like the new mustang could have also,i dont believe it was a safety issue,i believe it was a sound issue,i wish they would have left them before the axle,and left off the spotlights,but i still like the car,and hope to get one soon.just my .02.

Prentice said:
im confused about the safety issue,you will notice the new gto has a muffler setup similar to the 04 gt and earlier mustangs,whereas the fbody had the single muffler at the rear of the car,so if pontiac can put them underneath the car,looks like the new mustang could have also,i dont believe it was a safety issue,i believe it was a sound issue,i wish they would have left them before the axle,and left off the spotlights,but i still like the car,and hope to get one soon.just my .02.

The Monaro has the gas tank in back just like the previous Mustang because Australia doesn't have the same safety regs we do. In order to bring the Monaro into the US as the GTO, the tank had to be relocated. Since redesigning the floorplan was out of the question, the solution was to move the tank up into trunk area which gets it away from the axle. Here's a couple of quotes from an online review of the GTO:

With a few nips and tucks – Pontiac-specific front fascia, minor styling tweaks, and a relocated fuel tank to keep the new GTO from exploding into a fireball during a rear-end collision – the Aussie-built Monaro becomes the Aussie-built 2004 Pontiac GTO.

And if you’re wondering why the GTO has only seven cubic feet of trunk space, it’s because the 18-gallon fuel tank was relocated to a new spot behind the rear seats for safety reasons. Evidently, Australians aren’t sticklers for safe transportation the way Americans are.

Here's the full review for anyone who wants to read it:

http://www.autosite.com/Reviews/2005-pontiac-gto.asp

The Mustangs designers had two choices: 1) put tank in trunk ala GTO or 2) put it in front of the axles. Since you basically wouldn't have any trunk space with #1, they chose #2.

Any more questions?